12 weeks old and 20 degree temps

mamaj323

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
Murphys, Ca
My flock of 19 are now 12 weeks old. They have been without a heat lamp for a couple weeks now with lows in the 40 degree range. Tonight we have a cold front coming in that's supposed to drop temps into the low 20s. Will they be okay or should I turn the light back on for them?

I wouldn't. They might appreciate a nice pile of hay to snuggle into, and I'd be sure they were free of any draft, though. I wouldn't insist on their ssleeping on a roost. They should be well enough feathered, but they will need to acclimate.

Seconded. They should be fine. If they get cold, they'll huddle together, but at 12 weeks, they're pretty much ready to handle whatever they'll have to handle as adults. The chicks we got in September have been foraging and roosting now without supplemental heat even in temps down to the teens.

Ha! Well I guess I was silly to worry. It's 18*F out this AM so I took them some warm water since theirs is frozen. When I opened their pop door to see if they wanted to brave it they all ran out and have been happily playing. Thanks for the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom