1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12 weeks olds - Is one a Welsummer/CL

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by esimmons14, Jul 14, 2016.

1. esimmons14

esimmons14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Hi everyone! I am sending one of my 12 week old pullets off to a friend and I need help deciding. I wish I knew if one of these came from our Welsummer hen (with Cream Legbar dad). To any of you who have hatched this mix, do any of these look similar?
    Also, check out pictures 3&4 (it's the same one)- this one has the biggest and reddest comb but still doesn't look rooster-ish enough for 12 weeks - what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The last one is likely from the Welsummer. And either the Cream Legbar is not really a cream Legbar, or the rest are males that had 'silver' hens for mothers. Cream is a recessive gene that dilutes red/gold coloring. He should not have produced birds that are mostly black and white.

3. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    not sure what they are but there pretty

4. esimmons14

esimmons14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Most of these are Rhodebar x CCL. I wouldn't describe their coloring as black & white, maybe it's the lighting? Most of them have quite a bit of salmon/light red feathering, but there is one anomaly who doesn't. We also had a Rhodebar rooster that could have possibly snuck in some DNA, but that would really explain any of the coloring I don't think. I am really looking forward to seeing the egg colors.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The birds with white neck feathers, and black patterning through those feathers, are genetically silver. If you are correct about the parentage, silver should not be showing up. Cream dilutes gold/red color, but it's recessive, taking two copies to express. I'm thinking that your 'Cream Legbar' might not actually be a cream Legbar...
    From a genetics standpoint, those birds should all look like the last bird, more or less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by