12 wk old Ameraucana Quechua Olmec mixes - Pullets or cockerels?

kprae

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Hi, I have two of these birds and I can't decide -- one has a very little comb but feathers look a little pointy, and the other one has a larger comb but rounded feathers and body looks more like a roo. Thoughts?

Last edited:

kprae

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
The buff is a Cream Legbar and Delaware mix, I believe.

kprae

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Thanks! Even though they both look so different and were supposedly from the same hatch, you think they could both still be pullets? Will a pullet ever have slightly pointy-ish saddle feathers?

Lady of McCamley

Free Ranging
11 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NW Oregon
Thanks! Even though they both look so different and were supposedly from the same hatch, you think they could both still be pullets? Will a pullet ever have slightly pointy-ish saddle feathers?
They are cross breeds so it is a toss of the genetics who got what and thus who looks like what...remember your Mendel's pea table where 1/2 look like this; 1/4 look like this; 1/4 look like this...? You've got Ameraucanas, which often are mixed breed EE's, so you've got a lot of possibilities.

As to pointy saddle feathers...no...hens/pullets do not have pointy saddle feathers...that would be a roo.

However, while your one bird has some extra fluff there....I don't know that is a bone fide saddle...yet...and the comb still looks more hen than roo...it could however be a slow developing roo.

The other one with the orange flecking looks all pullet to me.

Pullets of some breeds can get a bit of pointy hackle feather...but generally no pointy saddles.

My 2 cents
Lady of McCamley

CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Crowing
7 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Indiana
They are cross breeds so it is a toss of the genetics who got what and thus who looks like what...remember your Mendel's pea table where 1/2 look like this; 1/4 look like this; 1/4 look like this...? You've got Ameraucanas, which often are mixed breed EE's, so you've got a lot of possibilities.

As to pointy saddle feathers...no...hens/pullets do not have pointy saddle feathers...that would be a roo.

However, while your one bird has some extra fluff there....I don't know that is a bone fide saddle...yet...and the comb still looks more hen than roo...it could however be a slow developing roo.

Pullets of some breeds can get a bit of pointy hackle feather...but generally no pointy saddles.

My 2 cents
Lady of McCamley
X2 and I thought it was called a punnets square

kprae

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
They are cross breeds so it is a toss of the genetics who got what and thus who looks like what...remember your Mendel's pea table where 1/2 look like this; 1/4 look like this; 1/4 look like this...? You've got Ameraucanas, which often are mixed breed EE's, so you've got a lot of possibilities.

My 2 cents
Lady of McCamley

Thank you!!!

Top Bottom