13 hens... yet 29 eggs a day. Suspicious?

Kitty135

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
What on earth is going on? I was told that hens can only lay one egg a day but we have recently been getting some crazy numbers. We gather eggs when the sun rises and again when the sun sets. Earlier this week, we had 15 eggs in one day. A day later... 18 eggs. Later... 23 eggs. And finally... 29 eggs. We only have 13 hens and we thoroughly check the nesting boxes twice a day. There doesn't seem to be an end to the maximum number of eggs! What's going on? Is this safe for my hens to be laying this frequently? They have been laying regularly for about three months now, if that helps.

maybe somebody is putting the eggs back outside
idunno.gif

caf.gif
cant wait to hear your mystery solved- like flowerchicks said maybe someone (ahem sneaky kids that are pranksters
lol.png
) are putting them back outside?? if thats not possible than maybe wildlife sharing the nesting boxes? are all the eggs the same? ..........................................................................this is a weird one ... a flock with chickens laying 3 eggs a day
ep.gif
i dont know about that

Practical joke, kind of like adding gas to someones car that likes to brag about their milage, then siphoning it out a couple of weeks later to make thm think something is wrong.

Quote:
It can NOT be a joke. That would be completely out of the question since the coop is locked and I'm the only one with the key. And I have buff orpingtons, RIRs, a brahma, a wyandote, and a barred rock. Any other possible theories?

Oh and the eggs range in color. Dark brown, light brown, creamish, and if we are lucky... lovely speckled brown eggs!

Back
Top Bottom