13 hens... yet 29 eggs a day. Suspicious?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kitty135, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Kitty135

Kitty135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    What on earth is going on? I was told that hens can only lay one egg a day but we have recently been getting some crazy numbers. We gather eggs when the sun rises and again when the sun sets. Earlier this week, we had 15 eggs in one day. A day later... 18 eggs. Later... 23 eggs. And finally... 29 eggs. We only have 13 hens and we thoroughly check the nesting boxes twice a day. There doesn't seem to be an end to the maximum number of eggs! What's going on? Is this safe for my hens to be laying this frequently? They have been laying regularly for about three months now, if that helps.

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    What kind O chickens you got? I need to get some!

3. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    maybe somebody is putting the eggs back outside [​IMG]

4. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] cant wait to hear your mystery solved- like flowerchicks said maybe someone (ahem sneaky kids that are pranksters [​IMG]) are putting them back outside?? if thats not possible than maybe wildlife sharing the nesting boxes? are all the eggs the same? ..........................................................................this is a weird one ... a flock with chickens laying 3 eggs a day [​IMG] i dont know about that

5. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Practical joke, kind of like adding gas to someones car that likes to brag about their milage, then siphoning it out a couple of weeks later to make thm think something is wrong.

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Kitty135

Apr 2, 2011
    Quote:It can NOT be a joke. That would be completely out of the question since the coop is locked and I'm the only one with the key. And I have buff orpingtons, RIRs, a brahma, a wyandote, and a barred rock. Any other possible theories?

8. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    A holiday miracle..

9. Kitty135

Apr 2, 2011
    Oh and the eggs range in color. Dark brown, light brown, creamish, and if we are lucky... lovely speckled brown eggs!

10. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Apparently this is a new type of chicken math.... Eggebra

Obviously, it's too advanced for my chickens. They can just do the simple stuff: 1 chicken X 1 day = 1 egg

Slackers!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by