13 week chicken laid 2 eggs in one day??!

I can understand that. It's likely she was much older than that, but the lack of proper care stunted her at the time. That chicken looks much older than that. Couldn't say how old she is but I'd say she's a solid month older than 13 weeks Sometimes feed store's accept chicks that people have raised for a while than realized they couldn't do it.
That's so sad but wouldn't surprise me. They were feeding on a chick that had already passed which was what prompted me to buy the rest.

This is her. Upon closer look into this site though I'm seeing she may be a golden comet 💙

ISA Browns and Golden Comets are two kinds of Red Sexlinks. That same basic kind of chicken gets sold under many different names.

Yes, she probably did lay those eggs. Her comb and wattles look big enough and red enough for her to be laying.

So either she matured unusually early (maybe because the days were getting longer at this time of year?), or she was older than you thought when you purchased her. Some chicks naturally do get their feathers faster or slower than others, so if she was a slow-feathering chick she might have looked young while actually being a few weeks older.

I actually keep them inside at night to avoid predation and she laid them both inside, in a very open spot where I'm sure they weren't at the day before. That was my first thought aswell but I check in on them multiple times at night and in the morning.

Then I'm just as puzzled as you are :)

A hen laying two eggs in one day is definitely rare, but it does happen on occasion.

ISA Browns and Golden Comets are two kinds of Red Sexlinks. That same basic kind of chicken gets sold under many different names.

Yes, she probably did lay those eggs. Her comb and wattles look big enough and red enough for her to be laying.

So either she matured unusually early (maybe because the days were getting longer at this time of year?), or she was older than you thought when you purchased her. Some chicks naturally do get their feathers faster or slower than others, so if she was a slow-feathering chick she might have looked young while actually being a few weeks older.
I did notice that the other chicks I had that were a bit younger than her went through the cycles of growing and losing their feathers a couple times quicker than she did

She is not a hen. She is a pullet, and it is not really unusual for a pullet to lay 2 eggs in 1 day. It is also not unusual for her to lay a double yolk or even a soft shell egg during this time. It happens.
And, she probably is a little older than you think.

Then I'm just as puzzled as you are :)

A hen laying two eggs in one day is definitely rare, but it does happen on occasion.
I have a Guinea Hen that does this. I've been getting 4 Guinea eggs out of 3 Guinea Hens, every other day.
I used to have 4 Guinea hens, but one got killed by a hawk, or some other raptor one day.

Back
Top Bottom