13 weeks--are my silkie and golden laced Polish chicks pullets?

I sure hope not. The polish is the lowest on the pecking order, lower than the silkie who is half her size. I don't know if that says anything. Also, wouldn't the comb be growing by now if it was a cock?
Yes, I would expect to see some comb growth or at least reddening especially in the waddle area. That's why I asked you to pull back the crest. The one polish cockerel I had was also lowest on the pecking order and didn't start crowing until 7 months. My Silkie's however, are confident fire crackers and Polish are a more nervous breed... so that might be playing in.

I hope you are right though! I spent more time looking at male and female polish. So I will describe the differences I see...

So I already stated the lace pattern was male or not high quality (no ugliness intended), and I stand by that. I also don't see what I typically call a hen bump in the saddle area. But I know all birds are individual.

Currently the head crest appears more female than not... meaning rounded and uniform instead of spiky and wild.
golden_polish_main.jpg
But the other thing is... I don't really see any of the darker red color coming on. That usually comes by now in most birds I have seen even if the saddles haven't developed yet (3-4 weeks in some of my breeds). Might be a tiny hint of darker at the nape of the neck/hackles. But I would expect it to more clear on a cockerel by now... doesn't mean it's true.

My stance if it were my bird... probably a late blooming cockerel (we think all are guilty until proven female). But I wouldn't be truly convinced... behavior and lack of color would have me hopeful for female, with reservation for late bloomers which I have had even among the same breed before. One suspected female showed her true colors several weeks after all HIS brothers. Coupled with the red comb at 7 weeks statement by the other poster... Even at 13 weeks many females are pinking up in their combs... My final answer... Not confirmed but DEFINITELY hopeful your polish is female... It isn't throwing ALL the clues yet. :fl

You should know for sure before too much longer (saddle feathers don't lie and even Silkies get them though they aren't as easy to discern)... I hope you will update! :pop

Your Silkie is a nice blue color. Her crest is still female shaped. I have seen one line that would have had me saying female on a cockerel at 7 months old... but again if that were my line I could confirm female, and can tell most my boys by six weeks old. Even had one crow at 4 weeks, and others trying to mate at 8 weeks. It's a lot easier though when you have others from the same batch for comparison, like Alabama Fly. :)

Need pictures of the silkie facing forward with crest held or pulled back, to show full extent of comb. I am not that familiar with Polish
Ok, here are photos of the silkie's comb.

In the case of the Polish's comb, you can see it fully in the very first photo I posted above. It is a low, smooth black bump with a grayish streak down the middle--I would call it a cere, not a comb. I took a good look at her this morning and noticed many areas all over her body were the lace pattern honestly isn't "present." Nice orange coloring, but there are some feathers that are entirely orange, and some that have black on the sides, and some that are only black at the tip. As she continues to grow from a juvie to an adult, I may see these feathers replaced with "higher quality," but don't really care. She is still pretty and striking, and we keep these chickens as pets, so I don't mind at all that she is not show quality. Rather a homey hen than a showy rooster!

Both chicks are so sweet! The silkie will sit on my lap for a long time, even eventually taking naps while I pet her, and likes to come in the house for treats and to drink water out of a tiny tea cup (my daughter's idea). The Polish is a bit more skittish, but she likes to sit on our shoulders. I think she is a parakeet in a chicken's body.

Attachments

• IMG_3326.jpg
    IMG_3326.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3330.jpg
    IMG_3330.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Rather a homey hen than a showy rooster!
For sure!

And I don't think it's homey either. :oops: I think they are both very lovely! :love

Silkie comb look pretty female for stated age. And I didn't see any comb or waddles that would have me worried about male in the Polish. The tea cup is cute. Shoulder ins't bad! All birds are individual and that's pretty good really. It will become even better once she passes the teen phase after laying begins and when maturity really starts to settle in. They friendly up (gain some confidence) even more. :thumbsup

Nice that they are both crested. I bet ya got a couple of characters on your hands and MANY hours of entertainment ahead. :cool:

OK, here we are at 16 weeks! What do you think? Still no change in combs or temperament on either bird.

Silky pretty much looks the same. The Polish is still missing a feminine hump in the back, but her second wave of crest feathers looks very feminine to me.

Attachments

• 450D5D26-A7FC-4974-900C-C5B8A4DE3198.jpeg
    450D5D26-A7FC-4974-900C-C5B8A4DE3198.jpeg
    821.4 KB · Views: 28
  • A8139A9A-24EE-4A50-9AA1-439BD8AB2CF3.jpeg
    A8139A9A-24EE-4A50-9AA1-439BD8AB2CF3.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 26
  • 062A1DC6-2D0A-467D-8ABC-68EE0D9B1E1A.jpeg
    062A1DC6-2D0A-467D-8ABC-68EE0D9B1E1A.jpeg
    830.1 KB · Views: 24
  • F12E99C4-89EA-4960-8729-6ACED30010FB.jpeg
    F12E99C4-89EA-4960-8729-6ACED30010FB.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 257DF5A3-4AD5-4C5A-BE08-2365472229B9.jpeg
    257DF5A3-4AD5-4C5A-BE08-2365472229B9.jpeg
    619.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Couple more Photos

Attachments

• 8D594CC5-C71D-42F1-A6D2-4069FD4BD775.jpeg
    8D594CC5-C71D-42F1-A6D2-4069FD4BD775.jpeg
    715.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 6737B09A-5EFE-412E-B217-2CFF0A365C45.jpeg
    6737B09A-5EFE-412E-B217-2CFF0A365C45.jpeg
    911.8 KB · Views: 26
My stance if it were my bird... probably a late blooming cockerel (we think all are guilty until proven female). But I wouldn't be truly convinced... behavior and lack of color would have me hopeful for female, with reservation for late bloomers which I have had even among the same breed before. One suspected female showed her true colors several weeks after all HIS brothers. Coupled with the red comb at 7 weeks statement by the other poster... Even at 13 weeks many females are pinking up in their combs... My final answer... Not confirmed but DEFINITELY hopeful your polish is female... It isn't throwing ALL the clues yet. :fl

You should know for sure before too much longer (saddle feathers don't lie and even Silkies get them though they aren't as easy to discern)... I hope you will update!

So, still the same opinion?

Back
Top Bottom