Ended 13th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along—Hatching Chick Photo Contest

Pics
cropped_DSCN7774.jpg

Baby Bobwhite quail hatching. This was a test batch to see if eggs that were in the refrigerator for 2+ weeks could hatch.
As you can see, they did. View attachment 3006144
Wow! 2 weeks in the fridge! That is kinda cool! I've wanted to do experiments like that..
This is fascinating trivia!

I have read in here (elsewhere) on more than 3 occasions that the anecdotal data is “up to 5 days” from production to starting incubator OR Broody-Momma for success.

This is very need to know you have done 2+ weeks. Now for the detailed questions:

This 2+ week fridge batch
A) were they collected & labeled on the day of production and put in the fridge *that very day*?
b) have you used other tests of time in the fridge? Like 7 days, 10-12 days before you went 14+ days?
C) have you tested this only on this breed of quail?
C.1) any other breeds of quail or chickens?
D) how many of these “chilled before brooding” experiments have you tested so far?
E) regarding the fridge, did you keep track of the temperature in the fridge and the eggs to see how cold they were?

There was someone who last February- during the Freeze-magedden here in Tx that had just started or was close to finishing a hatching with an incubator and I lost the thread or comment as to what eventually was their outcome….

Yesterday my pigeon egg pipped,i waited for it to hatch this morning impatiently going up and down the stairs to check on it,only to find in the morning,when it was supposed to zip,dead,I cried for two hours and eggtopsied the egg,the poor baby was ready to hatch with its yolk sack half-absorbed but something went wrong..I did eggtopsying 4 times and understood the reason each time but this time,I couldn’t understand what caused this horrible disaster that caused the baby to die.😖

Yesterday my pigeon egg pipped,i waited for it to hatch this morning impatiently going up and down the stairs to check on it,only to find in the morning,when it was supposed to zip,dead,I cried for two hours and eggtopsied the egg,the poor baby was ready to hatch with its yolk sack half-absorbed but something went wrong..I did eggtopsying 4 times and understood the reason each time but this time,I couldn’t understand what caused this horrible disaster that caused the baby to die.😖
Oh no, I am so sorry! :hugs

This is fascinating trivia!

I have read in here (elsewhere) on more than 3 occasions that the anecdotal data is “up to 5 days” from production to starting incubator OR Broody-Momma for success.

This is very need to know you have done 2+ weeks. Now for the detailed questions:

This 2+ week fridge batch
A) were they collected & labeled on the day of production and put in the fridge *that very day*?
b) have you used other tests of time in the fridge? Like 7 days, 10-12 days before you went 14+ days?
C) have you tested this only on this breed of quail?
C.1) any other breeds of quail or chickens?
D) how many of these “chilled before brooding” experiments have you tested so far?
E) regarding the fridge, did you keep track of the temperature in the fridge and the eggs to see how cold they were?

There was someone who last February- during the Freeze-magedden here in Tx that had just started or was close to finishing a hatching with an incubator and I lost the thread or comment as to what eventually was their outcome….
(A) Yes, they were put in the fridge the same day. I didn't plan on doing the experiment before, so I just stored them as if I was going to eat them.
(B) Well, I did try it once, but it was also a couple weeks after removing my rooster so the eggs might not have been fertile from that anyways.
(C) This was just what I happened to try it with. I had a surplus of eggs and someone willing to take any babies that hatched.
(D) None before this one, besides the chicken eggs that didn't develop (which also could have been because I had removed my rooster)
(E) No, I didn't. Like I said, it wasn't really a planned experiment, haha. One of the fridge eggs was in a very cold spot though and actually was partially/mostly frozen. The yolk inside wouldn't move and it looked somewhat slushy. I just warmed it up slowly and put it in too. It developed for a while but died during the last week I think. It could have just died from natural causes too though, I don't know.
It was very interesting in all though. I got around 7 I think babies out of the dozen eggs I set.

Back
Top Bottom