14 Week Introduction Didn't Go So Well

MSgt Mike

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Farmersville TX
Back in March we brought home 18 day old chicks. Lost 1 and have 17 left to merge with our 5 three year old hens. Since about week 9 we would put the 17 in one part of our coop for the day with a barrier between a few times a week. 2 weeks ago we started leaving them in that side of the coop all the time. They all have ability to see each other through the wire.

In the last week we've discovered there are 3 cockerels in the new flock also. Our coop is secure and we haven't decided if we want to keep any of the boys.

Today I added some pine mulch and hay to the main coop creating some distractions and opened the barrier. The new chickens really had no desire to go over to the other side. Eventually a couple ventured over and one of our Golden Laced Wyandotts made it known she wasn't happy so the few ran back. Next the GLW decided to go over to the other side and pick fights with at least 3 of the newcomers. Pretty sure 2 of those were boys.

At this point we've put the barrier back up. The new flock will be 15 weeks Thursday. Any suggestions on a better merge? Should we keep just one of the cockerels if any? I may put up a big fenced area with poultry net just to let them have even more area during the day. TIA

Back in March we brought home 18 day old chicks. Lost 1 and have 17 left to merge with our 5 three year old hens. Since about week 9 we would put the 17 in one part of our coop for the day with a barrier between a few times a week. 2 weeks ago we started leaving them in that side of the coop all the time. They all have ability to see each other through the wire.

In the last week we've discovered there are 3 cockerels in the new flock also. Our coop is secure and we haven't decided if we want to keep any of the boys.

Today I added some pine mulch and hay to the main coop creating some distractions and opened the barrier. The new chickens really had no desire to go over to the other side. Eventually a couple ventured over and one of our Golden Laced Wyandotts made it known she wasn't happy so the few ran back. Next the GLW decided to go over to the other side and pick fights with at least 3 of the newcomers. Pretty sure 2 of those were boys.

At this point we've put the barrier back up. The new flock will be 15 weeks Thursday. Any suggestions on a better merge? Should we keep just one of the cockerels if any? I may put up a big fenced area with poultry net just to let them have even more area during the day. TIA
You GLW is the matron, she's letting the new kids know she's the boss. Normal. I would let them mingle and see what happens, but there are going to be some squabbles while everyone cements their place in the pecking order. If they get really violent, separate them, but otherwise let them figure it out.

And yes, you will need to rehome 1 or 2 of the roos. 3 is too many for the number of girls you have.

Eventually a couple ventured over and one of our Golden Laced Wyandotts made it known she wasn't happy so the few ran back. Next the GLW decided to go over to the other side and pick fights with at least 3 of the newcomers.

This is 100% normal. The adults will let the youngsters know that they're in charge and the adult hens will make it very clear to the teen boys that they're not impressed and better learn some manners before they're allowed to mate.

If there's no blood and they aren't preventing the youngsters from eating/drinking then things are going smoothly.

Should we keep just one of the cockerels if any?

Yes, just one is probably the best, though you might be able to make 2 work with 21 females if you've got enough elbow room.

I may put up a big fenced area with poultry net just to let them have even more area during the day.

When it comes to integration the more space the better.

You GLW is the matron, she's letting the new kids know she's the boss. Normal. I would let them mingle and see what happens, but there are going to be some squabbles while everyone cements their place in the pecking order. If they get really violent, separate them, but otherwise let them figure it out.

And yes, you will need to rehome 1 or 2 of the roos. 3 is too many for the number of girls you have.
I am having a problem with my older Henderson and the 4 new chickens also. Lil Rooster has made it clear to all she is the boss and they understand but it has been several weeks now and they still do not get along well enough to leave them all in the pen at night the new chickens won't even go in the coop now because lil rooster sleeps in there. They all can be in the yard but the older one is still lonely and off by herself or sitting by the ducks that want to kill and eat her. Any ideas to make them all be friends finally I am tired of separating now. I've tried distractions but if it is food the older one wants it all and the younger chicken run away.

Seems all normal. I integrated multiple ages multiple times this spring. Painful. Takes time, patience and ultimately me getting comfortable with letting chickens be chickens. Hardest part was to step back and let them "establish" themselves. To my surprise one of the juvenile cockerels decided he wasn't going to take anything from anybody. Put the older cockerels in their place and next thing you know, the set of pullets he grew up with became more comfortable exploring too. Chicks will figure it out with or without our influence. Obviously slow introductions like you're doing is important but at some point you just have to rip the bandaid.

Back
Top Bottom