14 week old chick

Wildwilly07

Chirping
May 22, 2022
I’ve lost 2 chicks in a week with unknown causes. Woke up to a chick off balance and pale comb. Still eating and drinking but walks drunk. Just transitioned to grower feed, have one water with electrolytes, one apple cider and one plain water out. Not sure what to do. I have an existing flock of 8 and hatched 12 chicks this spring. Both chicks that died looks like they just fell over and died

I’ve lost 2 chicks in a week with unknown causes. Woke up to a chick off balance and pale comb. Still eating and drinking but walks drunk. Just transitioned to grower feed, have one water with electrolytes, one apple cider and one plain water out. Not sure what to do. I have an existing flock of 8 and hatched 12 chicks this spring. Both chicks that died looks like they just fell over and died
Can you post photos of the chick and her poop?

Did you change feed before the other 2 died? If so, does the feed smell off or did it have any mold?

Have you treated for Coccidiosis?
Thank you for replying, I thought I could post a video but wouldn’t work. I’ll get some pics. I changed the food about 2 weeks ago. At first I was thinking they got the laying pellets so it was too much protein as they are still little but odd if I lose 3 chickens in 1 week. No mold on the food. I haven’t treated for coccidiosis, do I treat the whole flock or just that chick?

It almost looks like her chest. But also did a weird gagging thing today. Assume it’s a roo too?

Attachments

• 0B1B65A9-9626-469B-A556-06A622865FB1.jpeg
    0B1B65A9-9626-469B-A556-06A622865FB1.jpeg
    889.9 KB · Views: 4
  • B6139DDA-9F90-48AB-8EA6-93750C4005C7.jpeg
    B6139DDA-9F90-48AB-8EA6-93750C4005C7.jpeg
    786.4 KB · Views: 3
Thank you for replying, I thought I could post a video but wouldn’t work. I’ll get some pics. I changed the food about 2 weeks ago. At first I was thinking they got the laying pellets so it was too much protein as they are still little but odd if I lose 3 chickens in 1 week. No mold on the food. I haven’t treated for coccidiosis, do I treat the whole flock or just that chick?

It almost looks like her chest. But also did a weird gagging thing today. Assume it’s a roo too?

For video, Upload To YouTube and provide a link. The BYC upload does not work.

Quite a large crop on that one. A gagging motion is an attempt to adjust the crop.
Check to see if their crops are emptying overnight. Do you provide grit (crushed granite)?

If possible, get a fecal float to see if worms and Coccidiosis are part of the problem. If not, then I'd treat their crops, deworm and treat for Coccidiosis.

Corid to treat Coccidiosis. Liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given as the sole source of drinking water for 5-7 days. Treat all that are housed together. Don't add any extra vitamins or supplements to the water during the course of treatment.

Safeguard liquid goat dewormer for deworming. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

What protien% is the grower feed? I'd keep the youngsters on an 18-20% starter or all flock feed until they mature and come into lay. Then you can switch to a lower % layer feed (Layer feed is usually less protein than most, but contains more calcium than youngsters need).
If you have different ages, then feeding an all flock (18-20%) feed or even chick starter will be easier than having to try to feed separate feeds. Once everyone is mature, then you can switch everyone to layer feed if you wish. Provide oyster shell free choice, the laying birds will pick up what they need.

The article addresses the crop https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

For video, Upload To YouTube and provide a link. The BYC upload does not work.

Quite a large crop on that one. A gagging motion is an attempt to adjust the crop.
Check to see if their crops are emptying overnight. Do you provide grit (crushed granite)?

If possible, get a fecal float to see if worms and Coccidiosis are part of the problem. If not, then I'd treat their crops, deworm and treat for Coccidiosis.

Corid to treat Coccidiosis. Liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given as the sole source of drinking water for 5-7 days. Treat all that are housed together. Don't add any extra vitamins or supplements to the water during the course of treatment.

Safeguard liquid goat dewormer for deworming. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

What protien% is the grower feed? I'd keep the youngsters on an 18-20% starter or all flock feed until they mature and come into lay. Then you can switch to a lower % layer feed (Layer feed is usually less protein than most, but contains more calcium than youngsters need).
If you have different ages, then feeding an all flock (18-20%) feed or even chick starter will be easier than having to try to feed separate feeds. Once everyone is mature, then you can switch everyone to layer feed if you wish. Provide oyster shell free choice, the laying birds will pick up what they need.

The article addresses the crop https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you so much for all that info! I’ve had chickens for a couple years and this is my first time having dead/sick chickens. I’ll treat today

Hope all goes well.
Keep us posted on how they are doing.
We ended up culling the chicken. The other chickens were attacking it so we knew something wasn’t right. It also stopped walking so would’ve likely died that day. We did what we could.
Question: should I treat for coccidiosis for all chickens? Off to lose 3 chickens in 1 week

Back
Top Bottom