14 week old RIR Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by powersurbanfarm, Nov 3, 2012.

1. powersurbanfarm

powersurbanfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    HELP! I guess my BO is a boy[​IMG]and now I am questioning my RIR! PLEASE tell me it is a she and not a he! There is no crowing, no eggs, and no spurs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry but that is very likely a cockerel

3. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    The long thick legs plus the tail feathers look like roo to me.

4. Mattlime

Mattlime Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2012
    Bostic, North Carolina
    This RIR is def a rooster...no doubt about that it's tail feathers are to glossy for a female...if I were you I would look at the vent and see if it is swollen...however some roosters do not start crowing for a few years...mine was 2 before he started crowing...

5. Poultryboy15

Poultryboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2012
    Texas
    rooster

6. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Sorry. Looks like a cockerel. This spring I was devastated when two of my hand raised no doubt in my mind pullets were roosters and to boot they became mean. If I picked them up for a weekly inspection the hackles would go up every time. Plus they would both take turns raping their own mom!!! It grossed me out...

7. powersurbanfarm

Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    Well dang! I guess my local feed store is now 1-2 with the chicks I got from them. So much for that whole "90% accuracy" that they talk about. Bummer!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, cockerel.

edited...with your run of bad luck you might look to sex links in the future to ensure you get females. If red sex links you want chicks who are reddish or gold, not white or silver. If black sex links you want chicks that have a solid colored head, not a white spot.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  9. powersurbanfarm

Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I think I will just stay away from the cute little fuzz balls altogether and go with laying hens[​IMG]

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Production red as well. Just sayin'.

If one really, really needs to have pullets only, the suggestion above to choose sexlinks is a very good one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by