14 week old silkie… Gender?

JamminCats

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
Hi everyone? The silky is about 14 weeks old. Some people have told me it looks like a roo but I’m not quite sure as it hasn’t crowed yet or displayed any rooster behaviors. I know silkies are very hard to sex so I’m not even sure what I’m dealing with here LOL

Attachments

• 04439090-2DEA-4A7B-A9AF-8E21D65E3191.jpeg
    04439090-2DEA-4A7B-A9AF-8E21D65E3191.jpeg
    958.5 KB · Views: 73
Lovely bearded blue Silkie.. Let'e see comb and wattle development? Looks pretty good size compared to the bird next to it. Currently thinking possibly pullet! :pop

Attachments

• 05A3DD3E-4FE7-40C9-B623-11BFB0BF4FE1.jpeg
    05A3DD3E-4FE7-40C9-B623-11BFB0BF4FE1.jpeg
    928.7 KB · Views: 53
  • CADA9EEE-6A73-460F-9CD9-B8B180C99822.jpeg
    CADA9EEE-6A73-460F-9CD9-B8B180C99822.jpeg
    849.5 KB · Views: 54
Hmm at 14 weeks with a comb that large I'm leaning towards male. Silkie cockerels can take a long time before crowing sometimes (at 14 weeks most of my cockerels aren't crowing yet). If there are other males around and he is less dominant he may not crow or rarely crow as well. I've had some very early crowers but those often only do it a few times and then wait for months before regularly crowing. :lol:

I have seen females with some pretty large combs. Other than the comb and general stance there isn't anything I'm seeing that is definitely pointing out cockerel. I'm not seeing anything that looks like definite streamers yet which is what is confusing me. You never know you could have a very large combed pullet though I think it is more likely your silkie is a little cockerel. Sorry to not be able to be of more help, silkies are tough sometimes! :confused:

Hmm at 14 weeks with a comb that large I'm leaning towards male. Silkie cockerels can take a long time before crowing sometimes (at 14 weeks most of my cockerels aren't crowing yet). If there are other males around and he is less dominant he may not crow or rarely crow as well. I've had some very early crowers but those often only do it a few times and then wait for months before regularly crowing. :lol:

I have seen females with some pretty large combs. Other than the comb and general stance there isn't anything I'm seeing that is definitely pointing out cockerel. I'm not seeing anything that looks like definite streamers yet which is what is confusing me. You never know you could have a very large combed pullet though I think it is more likely your silkie is a little cockerel. Sorry to not be able to be of more help, silkies are tough sometimes! :confused:
Thanks for the info! Either way I’m definitely keeping him/her. Extremely friendly and calm temperament. Let me pick it up with no issues it doesn’t cause any trouble with any of the other chickens… Kind of just does it’s own thing.

Wow, what a different view! :eek:

Okay so starting out.. That's a straight comb and not walnut so comparing to a standard walnut Silkie comb won't work. Even then.. that's a huge straight comb for Silkie.

Then the bearding gene inhibits wattle size.. and those are good size wattles meaning kinda big...

Going with late maturing cockerel.. since most boys are showing their gender a little more clearly by now.. in terms of color in the wattles and comb.

I have had a Silkie crow as early as 3 weeks. While my friend had a rooster that didn't crow his first time until 18 months. :)

That'a great you will be able to keep if it is a cockerel! Tag me when you know gender for sure.. so I can continue to hone my skill and learn the differences to look out for! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom