15-16 week old chicken with lame leg

Have you introduced any birds into your flock that are not vaccinated or from a hatchery?

You're doing great with her!
Jean and her "sister" Lottie were the last additions back at the beginning of July. All the others were bought as day-old chicks at the end of May.

I've been getting the B vitamins into her for the last couple of days as well as egg yolk, but she seems to be getting worse, like her good leg is giving out on her, too. Is this part of an injury getting worse before getting better? We could try the sling again? Or is this a sign that it's time to let her go?

Jean and her "sister" Lottie were the last additions back at the beginning of July. All the others were bought as day-old chicks at the end of May.

I've been getting the B vitamins into her for the last couple of days as well as egg yolk, but she seems to be getting worse, like her good leg is giving out on her, too. Is this part of an injury getting worse before getting better? We could try the sling again? Or is this a sign that it's time to let her go?
I'm honestly thinking it's Marek's.

As far as the "let her go" question - I leave that up to the bird to tell me. Is she still eating and drinking? Do you feel it's time to let her go? Only you can answer that. If she's eating and drinking, I would weigh her in the morning (using a kitchen scale) before feed and water. Get a baseline. Then watch over the next couple days. Make sure she's not losing weight. If she is, she needs ti be tubed. If you can't or won't commit to that while you wait to see if the paralysis progresses or clears, I would put her down. I will give a bird every chance to show me it can turn around. The very moment I know it can't or won't, I make that call. If the bird is suffering (in pain, seemingly not wanting to fight any longer) I make that call. That's just me personally though. I'm always willing to fight if they are. When they tell me they've had enough, I listen.

Back
Top Bottom