15 degrees and the chickens won't go in the coop

rochchickens

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 8, 2010
We have 6 chickens and live in WNY (aka cold and snow) we have been busy making modifications to the coop and run to accomodate the cold weather. Our last change was to put in a red ligt vs white in the heating lamp. Last night three of the chickens did not go into roost and it was down in the teens. In addition, our modifications now have the run covered either with a snowbank or tarp on three of the sides. Any ideas on why they didn't go in?

We have 6 chickens and live in WNY (aka cold and snow) we have been busy making modifications to the coop and run to accomodate the cold weather. Our last change was to put in a red ligt vs white in the heating lamp. Last night three of the chickens did not go into roost and it was down in the teens. In addition, our modifications now have the run covered either with a snowbank or tarp on three of the sides. Any ideas on why they didn't go in?

frow.gif
Welcome to the forum!
frow.gif
Glad yo are here!
frow.gif

Quote:
They did not want to.

Chickens have a permanent down coat and can squat down on their legs and tuck their head under their wings to help keep those parts warm. Cold does not bother them as much as you probably think. Wind bothers them quite a bit, whether sleeping or awake. It sounds like you have given them a nice area with the wind blocked from most directions.

I agree they need to sleep inside. Just because cold does not bother them as much as you think does not mean there is not danger from too much cold, especially if the wind comes from the open direction. I don't know the history of what has gone on for them to not go inside. Could be several different things. But if they sleep in the coop for a few days, they will probably get used to sleeping in there and going in on their own. You can either lock them in and leave them there day and night for several days or you can go out in the weather after they are asleep and using as little light as possible, move them to the roosts. Either way they should get the message within a week.

Sorry about the joke. I probably should have resisted. And again,
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom