15-month old laying hen mounting another hen exclusively - can it stop?

I would not get rid of her yet.If Phobe is the only one she's picking on, I would try separation for some time. If separation doesn't work, you may want to try taking Phobe out for a bit and see if her relationships with the rest of the flock are still good or if she starts bullying another hen. If she does, then she may need to go. If she doesn,'t then consider removing Phobe instead.

Being raised together has really little influence on flock behavior. And sometimes you just get a bird that does not work in the flock, or a pair of birds that do not work together. Good animal husbandry is solving things for peace in the flock. You may not be aware of it, but I am betting this behavior is causing stress in the entire flock.

I would not waste anymore time, one of the birds needs to go. If she is laying, she should be salable, and to be honest, there is a good chance that she will do much better in another flock. She just isn't working out in this flock.

Mrs K
Thank you. It makes me sad, but you're right; I have to think of the whole flock.

I reached out to my neighbor, who has a small flock of four hens (EEs and RIRs) and a rooster. She is willing to take Scarlett, and I know she'll be in a good home--right down the hill. I should be able to visit her. Thank you everyone for commenting. <3

I reached out to my neighbor, who has a small flock of four hens (EEs and RIRs) and a rooster. She is willing to take Scarlett, and I know she'll be in a good home--right down the hill. I should be able to visit her. Thank you everyone for commenting. <3
Hopefully they know how to integrate a single bird...and Scarlett doesn't continue her aggression.

Back
Top Bottom