15 week old Australop- Cockerel or Pullet?

NoNeck

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2022
I have a 15 or 16 week old Australop. At first I thought he was a cockerel, but now I am beginning to think he could maybe be a she?
I know the comb and wattle are big and bright, but I've never heard him crow or mate with my hens. My other australop who is the same age, has been crowing amd mating with my hens for weeks.
If it is a HE, could it be that he maybe has let my other rooster take over and he just isnt the dominant type? Or is this small looking guy, a hen?
For reference, in the last photo he is next to my barter white hen who is about 7 months old.

Attachments

• 20230325_120619.jpg
    20230325_120619.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230325_120605.jpg
    20230325_120605.jpg
    820.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230325_120617.jpg
    20230325_120617.jpg
    760.1 KB · Views: 26
Can you put a your hand or a piece of paper under the saddle feathers and take another pic?
I'm thinking I can see some pointed saddle feathers there, but its hard to tell.

I have a 15 or 16 week old Australop. At first I thought he was a cockerel, but now I am beginning to think he could maybe be a she?
I know the comb and wattle are big and bright, but I've never heard him crow or mate with my hens. My other australop who is the same age, has been crowing amd mating with my hens for weeks.
If it is a HE, could it be that he maybe has let my other rooster take over and he just isnt the dominant type? Or is this small looking guy, a hen?
For reference, in the last photo he is next to my barter white hen who is about 7 months old.
So far, looks like a cockerel to me

Looks like a pullet to me, ..... scratch that first opinion. On second look, I see saddle feathers, and I think I see some long, arched tail feathers starting.
Cockerel.
My Australorps were late bloomers, too. Yep, a photo of the saddle feathers and tail feathers (need to see the TIPS of those feathers) would help a lot to determine the gender.

Oh, and my Aussies didn't start laying until 24-26 weeks of age - but this girl (if it's a girl) has a bright red comb and wattles - so she's close to laying soon. And some of my boys didn't start crowing until 16-17 weeks, attempting to mate by 26 weeks.

Last edited:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1672971086632.jpg
    FB_IMG_1672971086632.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom