15 week old Easter egger trying to mate with elderly bantam cochin

cute chicks here

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 21, 2011
Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
My elderly bantam cochin hatched 3 Easter Eggers from a different hen. They are now 15 weeks and one is a cockerel who keeps trying to breed with his 9 year old adoptive mom. I have sectioned off the coop to separate them and only allow supervised visits when they free range and I am sitting there to yell at him. At night he screams and fights with his 2 sisters because he no longer gets to roost with her.I have Jasper with his 2 sisters and Pee wee(the mother hen)with an adult rode island red at night.

Attachments

• 54469.jpg
    54469.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 41
My elderly bantam cochin hatched 3 Easter Eggers from a different hen. They are now 15 weeks and one is a cockerel who keeps trying to breed with his 9 year old adoptive mom. I have sectioned off the coop to separate them and only allow supervised visits when they free range and I am sitting there to yell at him. At night he screams and fights with his 2 sisters because he no longer gets to roost with her.I have Jasper with his 2 sisters and Pee wee(the mother hen)with an adult rode island red at night.
This picture is jasper at 13 weeks.

I definitely do some cockerel segregation when they choose a target like this. I'm still learning myself, but my most dominant cockerel went crazy for the full grown/mature hens and ignored the pullets completely. The less dominant ones took interest in the pullets, but not to such an extreme degree. He had to be separated for peace in the flock as he was relentless even in nearly 100 degree temperatures. Hormones can be tough.

I definitely do some cockerel segregation when they choose a target like this. I'm still learning myself, but my most dominant cockerel went crazy for the full grown/mature hens and ignored the pullets completely. The less dominant ones took interest in the pullets, but not to such an extreme degree. He had to be separated for peace in the flock as he was relentless even in nearly 100 degree temperatures. Hormones can be tough.
Yes,there are 2 pullets and an adult Rhode Island red hen but he only tries to mount the elderly bantam cochin . I have separated him but leave the 2 young pullets who were raised with him for company. I can't cull him but wished I knew someone who would give him a good home.

Back
Top Bottom