15 week old - unknown gender/breed- any help?!

If it's an actual Leghorn, it might be a pullet - I agree better pictures are needed. Leghorn roosters develop their secondary characteristics, including feathering, VERY early, and Leghorn hens have big combs and wattles. That bird has awfully henny feathering if it's actually 4 months old. If it's four-close-to-five, since the OP doesn't know exactly how old it is, it could be red because it's coming into lay. If it's been red like that since it arrived, or if it might be younger than four months, then I'd agree cockerel.

In-focus pics of feathering and color will help us the most.

I believe she was approximately 6 weeks around November 10- according to my neighbor. Her comb was much lighter but within the last week or two has reddened. I haven't noticed any other big changes over the last couple of weeks, but she seems to be getting bigger every time I see her
smile.png
I have hope- I am calling her a "she"! But tomorrow morning will take better photographs and post them for more excellent advice. Thank you all again!!
smile.png

Based on feathering, body type and skinny girly legs, I say hen. No hackles or saddle feathers I can see, and a big comb/wattles don't always indicate a roo, especially where white leghorns are concerned, which I believe your birdie to be! A white leghorn pullet, imo.

Also, no crowing yet? I bet girl. BUT, I am not exactly an expert! And I have had to ask about my own birds before so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Oh please let her be a hen- but either way, I'll love her/him. I don't know why it doesn't come across in the photos, but she looks like a hen to me!

Well, if it's as old as you say, it should be developing more rooster characteristics and my young roos hatched in mid Sept have been crowing for at least a couple weeks. Definitely looks like it is some type of white leghorn cross, which would explain the coloration.

If (he) don't crow and (she) starts laying eggs, my guess
idunno.gif
would be he's a she...
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom