15 weeks and laying eggs

Kattee

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Fowlerville michigan
Is it okay that she is laying eggs this young? I cant find anywhere on the web of a chicken laying younger than 18 weeks and I'm worried about her health. We got her when she was a day or two so I know she is only 15 weeks old. There was three small eggs in her nest and she was sitting on them this morning. Poor thing, we dont have a rooster. I am feeding her layer and oyster shells (plus mealworms, wheat bread, veggies and fruit) is there anything else I should be doing? Should I be concerned?

Depends on the breed, and I think they do start laying earlier in the summer. My first hens were 24 weeks when they started but that was around Christmas time, I also had one that started to lay in June at 16 weeks! Just like humans really, some of us hit puberty earlier than others.

Well, it's impossible for her to have laid three eggs in one day, so I'm gonna guess that your other chicks are laying as well. You're lucky though; my pullets never start laying until they're at least twenty-two weeks old. Psh. They're slackers.
big_smile.png

It is possible that they can lay more than one a day but unlikely, only normally when they are really stressed. When mine started I found 3 but I think it was 2 laying over 2 days, I hasn't been looking too carefully as I hadn't expected them so soon! If you go near your hens do they squat down with their wings slightly up? This is usually a good clue as to which ones are laying.

Waaait. I take back what I said. They can lay more than one egg in a day, but it usually doesn't last for a long time. I had a hen named Ruby that was like that when she was still young. I can't believe I forgot about that fussy chicken. She was fierce. She beat up the rooster of the flock.
lol.png
I felt so bad for him...Anyways, enjoy your eggs!

Thanks! Yes, there are a few that squat down when I go to pick them up. I just figured they wanted me to help them back over the fence...guess their not THAT smart. Lol. That or they were really friendly, they chase me everywhere I go and try to eat my toes. Haha, how funny my husbamd was so excited yesterday he said "look honey, they are letting me pet them"

Back
Top Bottom