15 weeks - Chicken not feeling well

Kattzombiee

Chirping
Apr 15, 2023
Hi all and thanks in advance, I have moved one of my 15 week old girls inside the house to the "er" cage.. I noticed she just seemed not like her self yesterday and wings were droopy. Brought her in, she drank some, made her a scrambled egg with her normal dry food on the same plate and I swear she sat on that plate slowly eating a good amount of it for 2 hours. She got up on her perch and slept all night. This morning we have 2 poos that are of concern in the cage (photos below) and she is still pretty lame. Photo of her stance also attached. What could be goin on? The other 3 chickens she was with seem to be okay, but we treated our entire flock with elector psp 3ish weeks ago. We had also lost a rooster from her group from unknown causes about a month ago (which is how we discovered the lice that lead to the treatment) She has always been my tiniest of this group but also my fiesty girl. So it was clear something wasn't right with her yesterday. Excuse the food everywhere in pics, like I said she was sitting on her plate enjoying it, lol. I am currently swapping the puppy pad for continued monitoring today.

20230824_064949.jpg
20230824_064044.jpg
20230824_064108.jpg

Did you check her and the coop for poultry mites also? Best done at night using a flash light as they hide in crevices during the day and only come out at night to suck the chickens blood.

When did you last deworm your flock?

And did you ever treat them for coccidia?

Poor little thing looks really unwell.

Did you check her and the coop for poultry mites also? Best done at night using a flash light as they hide in crevices during the day and only come out at night to suck the chickens blood.

When did you last deworm your flock?

And did you ever treat them for coccidia?

Poor little thing looks really unwell.

Checked for mites, never saw anything the few times I checked. And so far we look clear from the lice scare after the treatment.

I have never dewormed, but am actively researching my options on how to do so currently. I've only had my entire flock since March of this year, with different ones coming in at different points.

I treated the 4 youngest (this one included in that) for cocci after the one rooster passed at the beginning of this month, since he was apart of their mini flock.

"I have never dewormed, but am actively researching my options on how to do so currently."

I copied this from other comments by some very knowledgeable people and saved it for myself next time I need it. If you find she has worms hope this helps with your research.
Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer dosage 0.23ml per lb of body weight given orally 5 days in a row. It treats most worms in chickens, except tapeworms, which are treated with praziquantel. Valbazen is another wormer that treats most worms 1/2 ml given orally. Repeat in 10-14 days.

"I have never dewormed, but am actively researching my options on how to do so currently."

I copied this from other comments by some very knowledgeable people and saved it for myself next time I need it. If you find she has worms hope this helps with your research.
Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer dosage 0.23ml per lb of body weight given orally 5 days in a row. It treats most worms in chickens, except tapeworms, which are treated with praziquantel. Valbazen is another wormer that treats most worms 1/2 ml given orally. Repeat in 10-14 days.

Okay, it looks like my local TSC has the safeguard in stock.. Question about that though, if I treat her I know I should treat the others she is directly with. But do I also need to treat my other chickens? The "babies" are kept in a pen seperate from the older birds within their chicken yard. So I wasn't sure if they'd need done as well just precautionary.

I am not an advocate of proactively treating for worms. You could get a fecal float test done at a vet to find out if you need to. Most vets even if not chicken vets will do the fecal test for you.

Back
Top Bottom