15 weeks old and mating

She's not ready. The boys are always ready before the girls are.
If he gets obnoxious and really starts stressing the pullets you can pen him so he can't harass them but still be in the flock.
When the girls squat for him, they are ready.
That’s good information to know!
We have a few males so we’re monitoring how they treat the ladies to decide who were keeping.
He was “good” about it though and he does the best with our young chicks we integrated. He’s actually the only one who doesn’t chase them. 😫

That’s good information to know!
We have a few males so we’re monitoring how they treat the ladies to decide who were keeping.
He was “good” about it though and he does the best with our young chicks we integrated. He’s actually the only one who doesn’t chase them. 😫
I think he's your keeper. A good cockerel/rooster is a valuable asset to the flock. He will help smooth the way for newcomers. And he's already being gentle with mating during his highly hormonal phase. Pictures?

We call him Jowlie 🤣 cause of his big waddles. They are massive - he’s quite a fine specimen.
08F74055-0D2E-4480-B056-33CF3DF24C60.jpeg

20A5D9DB-2E6C-4F8C-98D0-4A811F04B96E.jpeg

My 14 week old Barred Rock mated with his hens for the first time today (that I witnessed). The hens are 17 week old Amber Whites who are not laying eggs yet. One of the hens, (Caramel) squatted for him, and he was fairly gentle (for a newb), but her sister ran, and he grabbed her feathers, pulling some out! I never knew roosters mated with hens that were not laying yet. I've had chickens my whole life, and I'm still learning about them. I have two males to decide which one to keep. I have not seen the alpha male mate yet. He is calmer, but will beat the beta male up if confronted. The alpha male didn't try to stop the beta male from mating, but he did run over complaining lol. The males are very close. They grew up together and are bro's.
Hoss is a brat.png

I never knew roosters mated with hens that were not laying yet.
'Good' and mature cock/erels will not mate with non laying females.
A 15week old cockerel will generally try to hump anything.

The males are very close. They grew up together and are bro's.
That may change here soon.

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

'Good' and mature cock/erels will not mate with non laying females.
A 15week old cockerel will generally try to hump anything.

That may change here soon.

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.
I know what they're called. Like I said, I've had chickens my whole life. I wrote it that way to benefit the people who didn't know the difference.

I had a nine week old cockerel try mounting his foster mom before. She did not take it well and kicked him from the other chicks she was still rearing

I had a nine week old cockerel try mounting his foster mom before. She did not take it well and kicked him from the other chicks she was still rearing
Well, I was just surprised that the hens who are not laying yet registered as female to them. I never watched them this closely before lol. I figured they would need to lay eggs to produce feminine odors to attract the male, but if they mount anything... that answers that haha.

Back
Top Bottom