15 Weeks Old Still Can’t Tell Hens or Roos

Ameraucanas are notoriously difficult to sex, mature late, and do tend to have "fluff" in front of their tails at a later age than some other breeds. I have a group of 10 a month older than yours, and a month ago the boys didn't have all their male feathering in yet. That said...yours looks like cockerels to me. The one where we can see the saddle area has pointed feathers, and they have wide, red combs. My girls a month older have narrower pea combs and they aren't red at all. Hope I'm wrong!

EE have various different combs so you can't use the combs as a guideline. Also at 15 weeks they will start to redden. I see nothing that shouts Cockerel.IMO
Even if they are EEs, pea combs are dominant. So, modified peas and peas may occur in EEs. If they ARE actually an EE. EEs have almost no standard, BUT need to have a blue egg gene background. From ameraucanas or araucanas.

The thread did say the birds were ameraucanas though.

Even if they are EEs, pea combs are dominant. So, modified peas and peas may occur in EEs. If they ARE actually an EE. EEs have almost no standard, BUT need to have a blue egg gene background. From ameraucanas or araucanas.

EEs can also get walnut combs, etc. But most commonly, they get pea combs. Telling by comb growth and color is the best 'go to' in my tool box for chickens younger than 12 weeks.

Alot of people say they have ameraucanas but sometimes they are EE. Do Ameraucanas have assorted combs? Leg color? Just wondering. I have 2 EE myself. They are quite different in many ways.

Back
Top Bottom