15wk Cockarel Missing While Free Ranging

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
I’ve been free ranging the younger chickens in my flock for around a month now and have had no issues. I let them out like normal today and go to round them up a few hours later and notice I’m missing one of the cockarels.
It was broad daylight and I some feathers scattered in an area behind the run. A few of the chickens were still near the area and didnt seem shocked or worried at all. I saw no hawks outside today and only saw a few vultures. The last time we had a predator problem was a year ago with raccoons. We were also outside majority of the day and never heard any commotion. I checked the area and never found any signs of him alive or dead. Any idea what could’ve got him? I’m hoping he’s still alive somewhere.

Hopefully he'll return, but if you found a scattered feathers, something like a Fox or Coyote may have taken him.
Okay, thank you. Is it strange that there was no commotion? I never heard any noises from our rooster or other hens.

If you rooster and hens were not near that area, they may have not made a commotion.

Do you have a game camera that you can set up to monitor activity.
I've had Coyote take birds during the day with not much commotion, they wait and watch, when a bird gets near enough, they make a snatch and are gone - very quick. Caught it on camera, probably less than 10-15 seconds - they were out of there.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-16 9.28.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-16 9.28.36 PM.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom