16% hatch rate

I candled the eggs at lockdown and at least 44 seemed viable. The rest showed no signs of development, 2 had the blood ring, or the shell was too dark to see anything. Some of the eggs were purchased at an auction so there is really no telling how old they are, how they were stored, etc. Some of the eggs are from our flock and probably the majority of what is hatching but we're at 20 hatched chicks and counting on day 21 😃🥳 one zipped all they way around and then nothing. I opened the incubator to set a bowl of water not noticing one had pipped (it was fully zipped around at that point) so I'm thinking I may have zapped the humidity and it shrink wrapped? That was over 24hrs ago. One is fully hatched but seems stuck in the shell halfway in and halfway out. Not sure if I should intervene but there are so many pips, I'm reluctant to open the incubator. Any insight is appreciated. I may start a new thread to get some advice on the half hatched chick; the fully zipped one seems gone 😔
It is probably best to let nature take its course with this lot. There is no way to add water from the outside? If not it may be something to think about adding to it at a later time. I'm glad you are getting a good hatch here though!

There is no way to add water from the outside? If not it may be something to think about adding to it at a later time.
Not that I am aware of. I'm really not sure what the humidity system was on this incubator (GQF model 1270). We received them 2nd hand, and there is a shelf on the top and some wires and a metal wheel thing but it appears to be missing something or some things. Our humidity was around 25-30% naturally. I'm afraid it has been too high so I tried only adding water at lockdown which I did with the bowl of water. I was refilling it when I opened the door with the zipped egg.

Back
Top Bottom