16 Week Old Barred Rock (Roo or Hen)

mdeasuno

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
this one has been a constant worry for me. i posted a pic of him a while ago and everyone said it was a rooster but this chicken is smaller than i expected for its age. its feet have dark black on them and his comb isn't much bigger. the only tip off is its tail - which is small for a too at this age. any insight would be helpful! thank you so much!

How old is it? I'm not really seeing saddle hackle feathers, so I think that's a hen. The tail feathers are slightly curled. hard to say with out a better close up of it's back end feathers. But my guess is hen.

oops I see now that is says 16 weeks. Look at it's neck feathers. Are they pointed or rounded? pointed means roo. Just put your finger under one of them to get a contrast.

i'm sorry i'm new to chickens! if the chicken is a hen then the feathers on the neck should be the same shape as the feathers on the rest of the chicken?

i'm sorry i'm new to chickens! if the chicken is a hen then the feathers on the neck should be the same shape as the feathers on the rest of the chicken?

Well generally yes. If you can get a hold of it, just look at the neck feathers. If they come to a point at the end it's a rooster, if it's rounded it's a hen. Rosters will also have saddle feathers in the lower part of the back area before the tail, they start to lengthen and part and hang down to the sides as they mature and 'feather in'.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXkV7dJDj_-gYiBt1KH5ttHcg4zfkL0YVLoj6nzihqCsj3-D-LVQ
if you look at the picture in the link above you will see a fully feathered rooster and you will see the longer feathers that curl and drape down over the lower back.

. Is this a roo or hen?

Back
Top Bottom