16 week old duck in with grown ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Jan 26, 2010.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Would you allow your 16 week old duck to be in the same pen as the grown ducks and drake? Right now I have my pen seperated so she's by herself but can see/talk to the others. I do allow her some supervised play time with the others but don't have her living in their side of the pen yet.

Michelle

2. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    If the duck is fully fledged, I don't see any problem with them living together. Only concern I would have is that blood feathers might get plucked while establishing pecking order - but that's just me being paranoid.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have my 12 week olds with adults, and they have been together for 2 weeks. Their hasnt been a problem, however it would depend on the temperment of your adult ducks. By 16 weeks they should be pretty much fully grown and feathered - Im sure she would enjoy the company .

4. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thank you Ladies. She's already had her first molt and is fully feathered. The other female ducks are great with her, they have each been in her pen for days at a time with her and no troubles. My Drake has topped her three times while I've had her in for visits with the big ones. Twice she allowed him with no protest, once she kind of yelled at him for it LOL I hatched her from one of my big girls' eggs, she's been watching the big girls and now does the head bopping come get me dance when the drake comes near her fence (I have the duck pen partitioned with a wall of doubled chicken wire).
    I guess it's time for me to accept she's a big girl and let her be with them. I think I'll give her a few hours over the next fews first then let her move right in with them. I was worried about her being too young to be topped by the drake.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by