16 week old Light Brahma. Rooster?

sbutler12025

Chirping
May 28, 2021
My sweet Penny. He's kept me guessing for weeks now... At first he developed exactly the same as my obvious pullet Cotton. His tail feathers grew at the same rate and in the same shape as Cotton they were the same size and both walked low like a pullet, their feathers grew in uniformly and smooth and their combs were the same until two or three weeks ago.
Now my third light brahma Titan was always clearly a rooster. He was much larger, his tail feathers were short and fluffy and he feathered out much slower with plenty of thin spots where the feathers couldn't keep up with his growth for awhile and he has always walked upright, tall and proud.
So we thought Penny was a pullet. Until she went through a growth spurt and his comb grew bigger and redder. Then Penny became PennyRoo!
Well now I'm wondering again... Penny is super super sweet, unlike Mr Jerkface Titan, he wants up into our laps and snuggles up into our neck to sleep or be scratched. He is suddenly displaying the same squatting behavior some of my other pullets are displaying when we reach to pet them, has yet to show sparring behaviors with the other boys and has not yet started to crow (which doesn't necessarily mean anything, my JG roo doesn't crow either yet) PennyRoo also looks totally different from Titan and walks lower like the girls instead of upright. I am not seeing or feeling any of the little spikey feathers that all of my other roos have on their necks and by their tails, just nice fluffy soft feathers like Cotton. But the coloring is the same as Titans whereas Cotton has much more white. Titan also has a much more fluffed out tail with curled pointy feathers and many green feathers coming in. PennyRoo has a long straight tail exactly like Cottons just a bit longer and topped with black but I do notice two feathers with a green shine.
So what gives guys? Penny is still a rooster correct? He is one of two roosters that I intend to keep! Why is he so incredibly different from Titan? And all of my other roosters in general..
For comparison:

Cotton the pullet:
My pretty pretty girl ❤️
received_532915254717943.jpeg
received_292652459315464.jpeg

Watermelon face! 🤣
IMG_20210713_192502242_HDR.jpg

Titan the cockerel:
Look at all those rough pointy feathers!
IMG_20210721_202111929_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210721_201952640_HDR.jpg

And PennyRoo the troublemaker:
These are saddle feathers I see??
received_191570452984715.jpeg
received_5800995006639505.jpeg

Thank you all! I was 100% on Cotton and Titan but just needed a little push through my doubt on PennyRoo 😊

Back
Top Bottom