16 week old otherwise healthy hen, sudden limp, new chicken owner, all help appreciated!

@Wyorp Rock thank yes, the entire flock has been treated, as we had two "failure to thrive" chicks, and out of precaution everyone was treated. I'm out of permethrin, will grab some today and treat everyone.
EFA6C670-FECB-4C0B-AC1A-F532B8E99B32.png
This antibiotic is in stock at my local store, would this fit the bill?

thank you everyone for your replies! Unfortunately when I got home this morning from getting B vitamins etc, she had already passed away. Now, I need guidance on what to do with my remaining birds, the two birds she's been in contact with are in our "chicken area" with coop, fenced in run etc. they seem to be doing well and appear healthy. I also have 8, 6 week old chicks in the garage in a playpen/brooder as they feather out, they again seem to be doing well. My question is, should we keep the two that our dead bird was in contact with, and introduce the younger ones as planned, or rehome the larger two, clean out coops and disenfect everything then let our 8 younger ones out there? I don't want to rehome chickens who could be carrying something, but as I mentioned they seem healthy. What would you do?

What state are you in? Sorry that you lost her. The only way to find out what was wrong would be to get a necropsy by your state vet who would look at her insides for anything unusual. They can tell if it was coccidiosis or a reproductive infection, or something else. Her body must arrive today (M-F) during business hours, and be kept cool. Some illnesses may be spotted with a home necropsy, but the professional one is best. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

thank you everyone for your replies! Unfortunately when I got home this morning from getting B vitamins etc, she had already passed away. Now, I need guidance on what to do with my remaining birds, the two birds she's been in contact with are in our "chicken area" with coop, fenced in run etc. they seem to be doing well and appear healthy. I also have 8, 6 week old chicks in the garage in a playpen/brooder as they feather out, they again seem to be doing well. My question is, should we keep the two that our dead bird was in contact with, and introduce the younger ones as planned, or rehome the larger two, clean out coops and disenfect everything then let our 8 younger ones out there? I don't want to rehome chickens who could be carrying something, but as I mentioned they seem healthy. What would you do?
Sorry to hear of your loss. Having done alot of research on Mareks specifically from my information it can and dose stay within the areas exposed for months or longer even. Any birds you handled with it then handled others have already been exposed. It is common and treatment once symptoms start can not be helped. Vaccines do little if anything for the other strains. So even if a bird has been vaccinated they can still carry the virus. Some carry it without any real issues others may be effected more. Some may show symptoms later in life. That all said you have the hens already and they have at minimum been exposed via handling and there is no test or way of knowing while they are alive unfortunately. Many birds have and carry it without knowing. So I personally would not rehome and possibly expose someone else's flock. Just keep caring for them and handle what comes or doesn't. This certainly is not the only trial that will arise raising them. Having dealt with this and many other issues over years this is how I would handle it. I have 3 coops with varying breeds and ages as well as rescues and mixed flock. The loss is always difficult.

@FeathersFurFins thanks for the reply. Are you saying that we should just continue on as planned, and introduce the little girls to the remaining two (who lived with the now dead bird) and see what happens? I know that's what MOST people would probably do, and "if they die, they die". And while I'm learning that this can be a pretty rough hobby and death is part of it, if I can prevent it within reason, I want to try. At the same time, I can't build a new coop and keep them separate forever. Again, thank you so much for your thoughtful reply!

What state are you in? Sorry that you lost her. The only way to find out what was wrong would be to get a necropsy by your state vet who would look at her insides for anything unusual. They can tell if it was coccidiosis or a reproductive infection, or something else. Her body must arrive today (M-F) during business hours, and be kept cool. Some illnesses may be spotted with a home necropsy, but the professional one is best. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
I'm sorry for your loss.

I agree, it would be best to find out the cause of her decline, so you have information going forward.
The information you receive will give you a better understanding of what you are dealing with, whether it's disease like Marek's that you will need to manage or if it's a condition that's treatable if caught early.

@FeathersFurFins thanks for the reply. Are you saying that we should just continue on as planned, and introduce the little girls to the remaining two (who lived with the now dead bird) and see what happens? I know that's what MOST people would probably do, and "if they die, they die". And while I'm learning that this can be a pretty rough hobby and death is part of it, if I can prevent it within reason, I want to try. At the same time, I can't build a new coop and keep them separate forever. Again, thank you so much for your thoughtful reply!
Yes. I would keep them all and introduce them after the younger ones have been able to build their immunity. When your younger girls are beyond 5 months they should have a much better chance. There are different forms of Mareks and rate of death for each form. Many things can and may arise during raising any animals. The more of them you have the more loss you will seem to encounter. As with all pets (all of mine are) there will be loss unfortunately. It may be very helpful to get a book to have handy for reading in advance to know what to look for as I mentioned previously. There are signs when they start feeling not themselves and you can intervene in a timely manner for some things if you are aware. The Chicken Health Handbook has 2 editions and good information. Best wishes

Back
Top Bottom