16 Week Olds Roosting in Nesting Boxes

chickburt

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
I have 10 chickens, 4 Silver Lace Wyandottes who are 16 weeks old and 6 others who are 12 weeks. They were roosting fine, but a couple weeks ago we put the nesting boxes into the coop, and now the Silver Lace are roosting in the nesting boxes. Every night I put them up on the roost, and now only three of the four are roosting in the boxes. The problem is that they have caught on. Now as soon as I pick one up to put her on the roost, the other two run to the middle of the coop where I can't easily reach them. They could start laying any day now, so I hesitate to cover the nesting boxes, but I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

At 16 weeks, you still have some time before they start laying. You could block them off for a few weeks. That said, where are your roosts on relation to the boxes? Which one is higher? Generally the hens will sleep in/on which er is higher. You want your roosts to be higher that your nesting boxes.

Yes, the roost is higher than the nesting boxes. I'll try blocking them off. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom