16 wk. old Ducks really really LOUD

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by treldib, Sep 12, 2010.

1. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Every time I turn around the ducks are like QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK. I highly doubt they're imprinted on me because they're all pretty skittish and run from me [​IMG] . But seriously they are WAY too loud...we have already gotten complaints from neighbors. They seem to be quacking for no reason [​IMG] . Is there any way I can quiet them down. Treats don't seem to help.

Edited to add:
    They have free range of the backyard but seem to just quack for no reason.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    That's just a duck for you. Well a female duck, males are fairly quite. All the loud quack ducks are female, male just have that soft raspy squawk.
    The only solution would be to get rid of the hens and keep all males, there's just no way to stop them from doing it

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG] hehehehehe same as is with the human female species. Ducks are just noisey, good thing you don't have geese then you'd really be in trouble. If the neighbors are getting their shorts in a wad it will probably get worse, the only thing that really does cure a noisey duck is a good home in the country away from town and brick homes, on second thought it would quiet the neighbors more. Sorry your having issues, duck's are great birds.

AL

4. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    From my experience it does get better! I think I posted about my ducks being loud when they were the same age, but they have quieted down now. Maybe it's a horomone thing as they come into adulthood? My babies still quack of course but not as bad and now it seems only for a reason (dinner time, etc). [​IMG] Good luck!

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Mmmmmm long term hearing loss from loud duck quaking. That explains why we don't hear it anymore after being exposed to it. [​IMG]

Just kidding.

6. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have Muscovies and they are very quite which is great since I have an Emden goose who makes up for it. LOL

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:haha, love it!
    That's about the only way I have gotten use to it, they made me deaf

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm so glad I have Cayugas, because they are remarkably quiet. The drake, Louie, gabbles quite a bit, but his voice is so quiet you have to be right there or just around the corner to hear him. Thelma hardly says a word, but when she does, you know she has something to say. Usually just a single quack, though.

Now if only my five freakin' roosters would follow her lead...... and SHUT UP.

(Not really, I like listening to them, but they are the exact opposite of the ducks!)

10. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i have one who is kinda handiquacked and quacks loud when no one is around him or her. she or he also quacks when the food bowl is empty. other than that i have 1 other who qucks but never does and the rest are scovies. i am hoping we don't get noise complaints. i loves my babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by