17 week EE layed today!!!

Frogdogtimestwo

Songster
13 Years
May 21, 2008
One of our Easter eggers layed her first egg today, I was so surprised considering how young she is. The roo was making a huge fuss, I could hear him in the house so I went to check on them and this was waiting for me. I love the color. The egg next to the blue one is from our Blk Australorp who began laying this week and the others are from a RIR who has layed one a day since starting I think 14 days ago!
10773_100_3204.jpg

Beautiful eggs!! I can hardly wait! How old is your australorp? Our australorps, orps, ees and dark brahma are 16 1/2 weeks old today so I am watching. Your 17 weeks makes me real excited!!! By the way, love your forum name. My hubby calls our great dane, FrogDog. His real name is Fargo. lol Love it!

Thank you, it is befitting for our dogs as well! The black Australorp is 21 weeks and it looks like her sister is about to join the club, she has been in and out of the nests all day. So "eggciting"

*Yes indeed we got another egg this evening from another australorp!

Last edited:
You're so lucky.
barnie.gif

One of my EEs has a huge red comb and squats whenever I come within a 10 foot radius of her. No eggs, and she's 25 weeks old.

My other EE, who never squats and has a tiny pale pink comb has been laying for 3 weeks now. She lays lovely green eggs.

I will never figure these chickens out!

I was so not expecting it. The EE do not even have close to red combs, still really pale and I have never seen her try to squat....I honestly was trying to finish the bag of starter/grower but I am going to have to switch her to layena today.

Thanks, I sold all but two of my EE's but after seeing that egg I should not have. I am getting an incubator for my birthday and planning on hatching ee/cuckoo marans mix for some olive eggers to keep.

So many people are waiting so long for their chickens to lay!
barnie.gif

I wonder if it's the grower feed or something else you are doing that we don't know about?
idunno.gif

I have used the Purina start and grow since the beginning with the three batches of chicks we got this spring/summer. We do have really mild weather where we live but they spend all day in their coop it seems. I have switched over to Layena, they really like the texture. I also give them a daily treat of salad greens or flax seed, sunflower seeds etc, not sure if that helps or not.

Back
Top Bottom