18 month old Bantam Roo trying to mate with my adolesent girls?

HappyHenMama

Chirping
7 Years
My Bantam Roo is trying to mate with my 3 month old girls. He currently doesn't have any hens to mate with. His favorite was killed by a dog two weeks ago and my bantam hen is raising her two week old chick in a seperate coop. I'm not sure what to do with him. He's a good rooster...never attacks me and watches his girls when free ranging, but I don't have another pen to put him in. Can this be damaging to my young girls? Obviously they won't be ready to lay for a couple more months. Thanks for your input.

My Bantam Roo is trying to mate with my 3 month old girls. He currently doesn't have any hens to mate with. His favorite was killed by a dog two weeks ago and my bantam hen is raising her two week old chick in a seperate coop. I'm not sure what to do with him. He's a good rooster...never attacks me and watches his girls when free ranging, but I don't have another pen to put him in. Can this be damaging to my young girls? Obviously they won't be ready to lay for a couple more months. Thanks for your input.
Oh, one more thing...one of my girls the largest Red Star's wing feathers are looking kind of scraggly. I've found a few of her wing feathers in the yard and in the coop, so I'm guessing he's trying to mate with her the most. The two youngest are BO and he seems to have taken them under his wing, so to speak. He's feeding them and generally acting like they are his babys. They are about 9 weeks old right now and it's very sweet to see him caring for them. They were added to the coop after the original 6 and so they have been segregated by the other girls, so it's nice to see them being taken in by my Roo. I would hate to take him away from them. Oh, what to do?

This is happening in my flock too, except my rooster is a buff orpington and is going after 4 month old cuckoo marans, welsummers, and blue andalusians.I have the babies in a different pen that is right next to the adults. They have been in there for 3 weeks and every time I try to let them out, the rooster goes towards every single one. I know your frustration and concern! I hope someone on here has a good answer for us

This is happening in my flock too, except my rooster is a buff orpington and is going after 4 month old cuckoo marans, welsummers, and blue andalusians.I have the babies in a different pen that is right next to the adults. They have been in there for 3 weeks and every time I try to let them out, the rooster goes towards every single one. I know your frustration and concern! I hope someone on here has a good answer for us
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom