18 month old BR died last night

ace6175

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
I didn't even know that she was really ill! She was in the nest box at night instead of on the perch. I checked for any mass (like a stuck egg) and found none. she didn't seem to be suffering, but how could I tell? I made myself a note to check on her this morning and she was cold on the floor.
How can I find out what killed her? I don't want all my other chickens to die from the same thing.

I'm so sorry - but sometimes you just don't know. She could have been egg bound, injured in some way, leukoid leukosis - and just because she died doesn't mean the others will. Sometimes chickens just...die.

Agree with slackwater. Sometimes chickens just die with out any signs of anything being wrong with them. Sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry about your loss.
hugs.gif

There is no charge for USDA vets to work with you to conduct an investigation. Call 1-866-536-7593 and you will be put in touch with a local contact.
You can also check out http://healthybirds.aphis.usda.gov for more info.

Thanks for all the support! I just went out and checked on the other chicks, they seem fine. Talked to the State veterinarian, a necropsy is just too expensive (take it to a nearby vet, they would ship samples 4 hours away). My husband just buried her.
Wish I had paid more attention, she was in the nest box for at least an hour before night time. I thought that maybe she was eggbound, but didn't think she would die!
I know that chickens die from all kinds of problems, just didn't expect it so soon.
RIP Spocky, you were a sweet, gentle chicken that never hurt anyone.
hugs.gif

I am sorry for your loss. I too lost a hen suddenly today - no signs of illness as of last night when she went to roost, and dead by noon today. I now know how devastating a sudden loss can be. Best of luck with the rest of your flock.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom