18 week BJG pullet with possible egg

dweder

Songster
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Anyone's advice??My 18 week old black jersey giant pullet seems to have an egg "in the shoot". I can feel the entire shape of it in her rear end. It's been there for days and days. She's eating, pooping and acting completely normal. Even squats for me. Nothing around her vent. Should I be worried that she's not laying it? I've had tons of experience with eggbound hens, but they always show signs of distress. This girl doesn't seem to know its there. Appreciate your thoughts.

If shes not showing signs of distress, you could let her go. If she is truly egg bound she can get sick fast. are you sure she is not laying? If you aren't comfortable getting the egg out yourself, go to an avian vet. They will suck the contents of the egg out with a syringe and let the bird pass the shell. Good luck.

I failed to mention, she has never layed an egg. This would be her first, and seems too early.

Is it possible she hasnt developed the right muscles yet to push it out?????

At a loss. warm baths are not working.

That is a little early, I think, but I don't know the breed. I think if you feel it and she is healthy other wise she is ok. Keep an eye on her appetite, behavior... If this is off, take her into the vet asap, unless you feel you can break that egg. ( I wouldn't recommend that unless you've done it before).

Back
Top Bottom