18 week old chicken has deformed leg - is it still possible to treat?

electrifyniall

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
My buff sussex rooster has a deformed leg, his leg goes out to the side. He was not born like this. The problem started at 7 weeks, he started limping but I thought he just had a "sprained" ankle so it would go away (this is the first time we are raising chickens from eggs) Few weeks later we could see that he wasn't getting better so we took him to the vet. They said it wasn't broken and it was the nerves that did something (some bullsh*t) His legs became more widely apart. It isn't splayed, it is "sticking out" from the hock. Do you think I can still cure him? He is 18 weeks old and I heard bones harden when they are 6 months so I THINK there might be hope.. but I'm not sure. If I could treat him what should I do? Please explain with full detail.

(On the side note he is completely healthy, friendly with other birds and he's eating properly and everything. I just feel bad for him and I know they're going to get bigger. He doesn't look like he's in pain but for all I know he could be.)

Update: I checked his legs and he has 1 lump on the back of each hock, the worse leg has a hard one and the better leg has a squishy one.

Back
Top Bottom