18 week old EE - cockerel or pullet?

The small tight to the face pea comb, round tail feathers, and the lack of pointed saddle feathers.
Yes her face is red, but she's already 18 weeks old and should be laying soon. A rooster should be very noticeable by feathering if not by voice by now.

The small tight to the face pea comb, round tail feathers, and the lack of pointed saddle feathers.
Yes her face is red, but she's already 18 weeks old and should be laying soon. A rooster should be very noticeable by feathering if not by voice by now.

Oh okay well thanks for the info :) I was mainly going by the color pattern and like you said the color on the shoulders look like that of a rooster. But now that you mention it, those other factors do make it look like a pullet. My EEs didn't start laying until about 24 weeks and my EE rooster did his first crow at 9 months. I guess mine were late bloomers haha!

Thank you for the info. S/he has not crowed but she is the loudest "talker" in the group :) and definitely the top of the pecking order. Her body shape and feathering are the same as my pullets, but the coloring was throwing me off.

It does have roo coloring coming in all pyle zones(hackles, saddle, wingbows). These feathers are also showing the shininiess and pointy tips so I'd say it's a rooster based on that.

It doesn't have much in the sickles. however my guess he will grow them eventually, with rounded tips and not that many of them.

This is more vague, his beard is a little more typical of roo beard than pullet beard. Same for his head.

I'd come down on the side of him being a cockerel, a relatively slow developing one.

Back
Top Bottom