18 Week Old Orpington - Roo or Hen?

AnnPann

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Kansas
Both pictured are 18 weeks old. Originally thought the Blue was just a late bloomer since her comb and wattle haven't developed much yet (pink hue just showed up in last week), and had been comparing her to Lavender, which I always assumed was female. Lavender one has been reddish for weeks now and comb/wattle bigger. Those pointy neck feathers on the Lavender kind of jumped out at me though yesterday so thought I'd should ask the experts... is she a he?

Lavender
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 8.36.08 AM.png

Blue
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 8.34.26 AM.png

Pullets! I love the lavender 💜 I always wanted a lavender orpington! The blue is gorgeous too! I have an adult blue orp and a almost 4 week old buff orp, I can tell you blue is a wonderful color!

Pullet it is then! Thanks for the input. Was dreading her turning out to be a rooster - I don’t really want to deal with the potential hassle (my 2 kids help with the chicken chores), but these 2 chickens are inseparable. Fingers crossed you all are right! :)

Pullet it is then! Thanks for the input. Was dreading her turning out to be a rooster - I don’t really want to deal with the potential hassle (my 2 kids help with the chicken chores), but these 2 chickens are inseparable. Fingers crossed you all are right! :)
I added two Lav. Orpingtons to my flock this year, they are 18 weeks and they too are inseparable. They are beautiful birds.

I added two Lav. Orpingtons to my flock this year, they are 18 weeks and they too are inseparable. They are beautiful birds.
They really are! I have another 3 yr old buff too and she’s got so much personality. Follows me around the garden like a puppy, talking up a storm!

Back
Top Bottom