18 weeks - partial lock down

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GermanChick, Aug 17, 2010.

1. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Usually my little flock free ranges all day. Some of them have begun to do the "squat-thing" and have really red combs and wattles. Since we live on 10 acres and half of the day they spent in a wooded area with lots of underbrush I am afraid that they start laying there and not in their nesting boxes. They haven't even been in the nesting boxes once, not even to check them out !!! So now I don't let them free range until 3 or 4 pm. They have a large 20x30 run that is still nice and grassy. I feel kind of bad for them but really want them to lay in the boxes. Am I doing the right thing ???? I am just so impatient, I can't stand it any longer [​IMG]
    Do they hate the nesting boxes since they haven't even checked them out or is that normal ??

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The nesting boxes will begin to look more appealing to them when they need them. I think lock down is a great idea. It certainly beats having an egg hunt every day.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by