1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

18ish week old pullet with respiratory issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gladahmae, Jan 17, 2013.

1. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    When I went out to check on my girls this morning, I could hear a very strange sound coming from one of my pullets. My White Rock hen (around 18wks old) was in one of the nest boxes, and is wheezing.

She wheezes with *every* breath, beak partially open all the time, and seems lethargic. She let me pick her right up, didn't fuss at all about being handled (very unlike her). Her crop is empty, and I can't feel anything stuck in her windpipe. She does have the occasionaly sneeze or cough. No nasal or eye discharge. I have her in a small dog kennel in the house. I gave her between 1/2 and 1/4cc of Tylan 50 under the skin at the back of her neck. I have a dish of water with ACV in it and a small dish of oatmeal in there as well. She hasn't touched either of them in the hour she's been in the house. She basically stands in one place and wheezes. I wormed all of my chickens with ivermectin 11 days ago (their 2nd round.....they were wormed a little after Christmas, and then again 10 days later) so it *shouldn 't* be gapeworm, right?

Assuming she doesn't die of whatever it is that she has, how many days should I continue the Tylan injections?

Should I put Tylan in the waterer in the coop I took her from?

Any other suggestions as to treatment?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by