18mo old chicken has swollen cheek, makes honking sounds (pic/video included)

Quote: I would only treat the chicken with symptoms--some of the others could possibly get it , but for now I would isolate her with her own water and meds. Some people will give the injectable Tylan50 by mouth--but it works best as an injection into the breast muscle.

Before you start her on any antibiotics, how is she acting? Is she still eating, pooping, active? Have you noticed any changes in her behavior? Any discharge from her nostrils or eyes? How about your other girls? Any changes with them? Has the swelling gotten larger on her cheek?

If you do start her on the antibiotics you will want to move her to a "sick pen" where she can get extra warmth and rest along with the meds. You can give all your girls the antibiotic in the water, but if they are not sick then you really dont want to give them unnecessary medications. Also, don't eat the eggs of the hens on the antibiotics. You need to wait until the antibiotic is out of their system before you can eat the eggs again.

The Vetrx can be added to the water or applied to the crown and nostrils. It is ok to eat the eggs also. Think of Vetrx as a cold med or vicks vapor rub. It will help the hen breath better, but it wont take care of any infection.

Before you start her on any antibiotics, how is she acting? Is she still eating, pooping, active? Have you noticed any changes in her behavior? Any discharge from her nostrils or eyes? How about your other girls? Any changes with them? Has the swelling gotten larger on her cheek?

If you do start her on the antibiotics you will want to move her to a "sick pen" where she can get extra warmth and rest along with the meds. You can give all your girls the antibiotic in the water, but if they are not sick then you really dont want to give them unnecessary medications. Also, don't eat the eggs of the hens on the antibiotics. You need to wait until the antibiotic is out of their system before you can eat the eggs again.

The Vetrx can be added to the water or applied to the crown and nostrils. It is ok to eat the eggs also. Think of Vetrx as a cold med or vicks vapor rub. It will help the hen breath better, but it wont take care of any infection.
She was normal and active but a lot more skittish than she used to be (she would always squat and let me touch her but lately she runs off and doesn't squat) No discharge whatsoever and all my other girls have been fine (given that the sick one has been making the sound for weeks now). THe swelling seems a little larger

I will quarantine her and luckily enough I suppose none of the hens are laying.

She was normal and active but a lot more skittish than she used to be (she would always squat and let me touch her but lately she runs off and doesn't squat) No discharge whatsoever and all my other girls have been fine (given that the sick one has been making the sound for weeks now). THe swelling seems a little larger

I will quarantine her and luckily enough I suppose none of the hens are laying.
One thing to be aware of. Fowl Cholera is not an uncommon disease, can cause respiratory problems, and facial swelling. It is a bacterial infection caused by Pasteurella Multicoda. The disease is more likely to occur in birds that are stressed by such things as poor sanitation, parasites, malnutrition, and other diseases.

Sulfadimethoxine powder at 1 tsp per gallon of water for three days, then change to Tetracycline powder at 1 tsp per gallon for 7 days.

Eventually you will need to get familiar with injections. Much quicker results and absorption is acheived with the use of injectibles. Biomycin doesn't burn like LA-200 and some of the other injectibles. .5 cc injected in the breast muscle, or subcutaneously alternating injection sites, 2x a day for 3-5 days is another option besides flock treatment with medicated water. Here's some good information about injections: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry#chickens_shots

Last edited:
One thing to be aware of. Fowl Cholera is not an uncommon disease, can cause respiratory problems, and facial swelling. It is a bacterial infection caused by Pasteurella Multicoda. The disease is more likely to occur in birds that are stressed by such things as poor sanitation, parasites, malnutrition, and other diseases.

Sulfadimethoxine powder at 1 tsp per gallon of water for three days, then change to Tetracycline powder at 1 tsp per gallon for 7 days.

Eventually you will need to get familiar with injections. Much quicker results and absorption is acheived with the use of injectibles. Biomycin doesn't burn like LA-200 and some of the other injectibles. .5 cc injected in the breast muscle or subcutaneously alternating 2x a day for 3-5 days is another option besides flock treatment with medicated water. Here's some good information about injections: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry#chickens_shots
I just gave the hen Tylan 50. She seems to be in shock right now, is that normal? She is lying limply on the ground and appears to be wheezing now. I gave her some water and now she is sort of crouched but still wheezing quietly.

I would only treat the chicken with symptoms--some of the others could possibly get it , but for now I would isolate her with her own water and meds. Some people will give the injectable Tylan50 by mouth--but it works best as an injection into the breast muscle.
Isolation recommendation is good. A comfortable, clean area away from harsh weather and even warmth provided through recovery is important.
I would never recommend Tylan 50 be given orally. Especially to someone new. Aspiration is too much of a risk. Teaching about injections or the alternative such as Tylan soluble powder for water treatment would be the route to go. Injectibles are labeled as such for a very good reason.

How did you administer the Tylan 50, and how much?
I injected 1cc. I think the chicken was just in shock from what happened because after a few hours she was more responsive and this morning she was normal. After her second shot she was fine, unlike yesterday

I injected 1cc. I think the chicken was just in shock from what happened because after a few hours she was more responsive and this morning she was normal. After her second shot she was fine, unlike yesterday

1cc is a bit much for one injection. Tylan burns, and often irritation results. You'd be better off giving 1/2 cc under the skin with a 25 gauge needle on the back of the neck. If the bird is over 5 lbs, you can give an additional 1/2 cc in the breast muscle. Refer to the previous link with information about injections. You want to make recovery as stress free as you can.

1cc is a bit much for one injection. Tylan burns, and often irritation results. You'd be better off giving 1/2 cc under the skin with a 25 gauge needle on the back of the neck. If the bird is over 5 lbs, you can give an additional 1/2 cc in the breast muscle. Refer to the previous link with information about injections. You want to make recovery as stress free as you can.
Thanks for the heads up. Will do that for the remaining shots.

Back
Top Bottom