19.2 weeks and still no eggs yet?....UPDATE!!!!!

I have 6 hens that are 13 weeks old so too early to lay but I think I might have a problem when they do start laying. They have taken to sleeping in the next boxes at night and pooping in there as well so the boxes get very dirty which is not going to be good when they start laying. I tried blocking the boxes off but I wondered if I do this and then start laying, how or when do I allow them access to the nest boxes just to do the laying, especially if it's early in the morning when they lay. I heard if you block off the boxes, they might lay on the ground or on the bottom of the coop.

I am newbie, this is my first flock so if you can give me some advice I would really appreciate it. I have to figure out a solution quickly as I don't want them to start laying in the boxes and and I wind up with nothing but pooped on/cracked eggs. 4 or 5 of them usually crowd in one nest box to sleep at night. I don't know how that is going to work if they start laying in another month.

help!??

My hens were not laying either at about 24 weeks and I was getting worried that they were eating them before I saw them. So I put some plastic easter eggs in the nest boxes (filled with sand) and within 2 days they were laying. Just needed to know what to do I guess. (LOL)

WE HAVE EGGS!! They are small but so perfect and just beautiful. If you live within a mile of our house you probably heard us screaming and cheering. First egg was Monday which was 20.2 weeks and she's (a RIR) given us one everyday since. YAHOO!

Congrats! That is so exciting!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom