19 day old - pic heavy

Ridgerunner

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
A few shots of my 19 day olds. The rooster is a Speckled Sussex and I show what I am guessing the mamas are under the photos. This is juvenile plumage. From Henck's calculator I expect all the adult Buff Orpington and the adult female Delaware offspring to be pretty much solid red with the solid Columbian markings when they mature since that speckling is supposed to be a recessive gene, but expect the Delaware males to be off-white with black barred tails and maybe necks since the Delaware have the sex linked barred gene as well as the silver gene. It will be interesting to see how they actually turn out.

22249_chick_1.jpg

Chick 1 Australorp Mama

22249_chick_2a.jpg

Chick 2 Speckled Sussex Mama

22249_chick_2b.jpg

Chick 2 Speckled Sussex Mama

22249_chick_3a.jpg

Chick 3 Buff Orpington Mama

22249_chick_3b.jpg

Chick 3 Buff Orpington Mama

22249_chick_4a.jpg

Chick 4 Delaware Mama

22249_chick_5a.jpg

Chick 5 Delaware Mama

22249_chcik_5b.jpg

Chick 5 Delaware Mama

The ones that were yellow at hatch had different coloring, some a bit redder than others. I think the redder ones are red sex link female and the yellower ones were the sex link males. I can't tell a whole lot of difference in the yellow chicks now, but at hatch the difference was more pronounced. In the photo below, the two chicks to the right are now colored about the same. They were one day old in this photo.

22249_to_brooder.jpg

Bators and broodies everywhere and I can't join in the fun!
hit.gif

ETA: Sorry I don't have any guesses on the sex. If it isn't a brahma, I'm clueless.
sad.png

Last edited:
You'll get your bator or broody going before too long. I have confidence in you.

I'm not asking for guesses on sex. I just grabbed some to show the immature plumage from the Speckled Sussex in the mix. Since it is recessive, I think a lot of that patterning is going to go away in the adult plumage, but when I cross these, I think I will see some of this in the next generation adults. But that is a year away.

Your crosses look interesting! Your top pictures may be a roo, but really you need better pics of the heads to tell for sure, but the majority for what I can see are pullets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom