19 eggs from 9 chickens and 4 ducks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LoneCowboy, Dec 22, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok, so explain this to me. I read an article today in the Boulder Daily Camera on backyard chickens. Seems this lady gets as many as 19 eggs per day, from 9 chickens and 4 ducks. Now I'm not so good at math, but seems to me that that is physically impossible. But if I'm wrong, I'm dying to find out how I can get a flock that produces that well. I can't seem to keep up with egg demand all the sudden and with the loss of one of my girls I'm in worse shape. So go ahead, explain it to me [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Uh, she's wrong or she's lying or she doesn't know how many birds she has.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well, that's what I thought, but I can't help but hope. [​IMG]

I'm really hoping it's a typo, because I'd hate to think that this lady is teaching classes on chickens and really thinks that. I'm sure it's a reporter error. But kinda funny.

Actually, it's a really funny article, seems the people down the street from her, got into chickens to teach their son where food comes from etc. Now he won't touch an egg. Grosses him out. He'll eat them from the store, but not the backyard.

This lady had to promise her son not to eat the ducks too. She doesn't name the chickens, because they are food but the ducks are her sons. [​IMG]

I can't blame the kid. I remember everytime I'd catch a frog, my mom would say she was going to make frog legs out of it. It was very tramatic for me.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Ok.. well.. I one day got 12 eggs from 10 layers..

Seems my hubby was in charge the day before, and missed a few.. LOL!

So.. maybe she is collecting in the morning one day, and then the afternoon the next? Then she'd *appear* to get 19 eggs, then maybe 7 eggs the next day, etc etc...

There is a breed (hmm.. leghorn?) who's record is more eggs in a year than there were DAYS that year.. but I'm sure it's super rare... and don't ask me for the source because I can't remember.. [​IMG]

Meghan

5. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Well shoot, I'm just gonna start collecting eggs every three days instead of every day. Then we'll be gettin' about 14-15 eggs from five birds, yeah!

6. paul67

paul67 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I've been told by two different people that their leghorns commonly lay two eggs per day. I don't think it is that unheard of for this to happen.

7. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    We have four leghorns and a bantam that lay two eggs a day. Most of the time, not every single day, but 90% of the time.

8. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:so is that 10 eggs a day(2 eggs a piece) or 2 eggs a day combined???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by