1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1951 Farm Master Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buckaroo, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    I have a chance to buy a none working sears 1951 farm master, its in good shape other than not working. Sure that I could get it working, but not sure how good they are. Anyone know about these? Would it be worth 100.00?

Thanks

2. poultrylady

poultrylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    I just sold one of these a few months ago. It was a Sears Super Hatcher, made around the early 50's. I believe it was a farm master also but that decal was missing. Anyway it worked pretty good. This one held around 400 eggs and to turn the eggs you would pull a lever out to roll the eggs, then push it back it roll them again. I set 400 eggs in it and my hatch rate was around 70%. Not to good but then again not to bad for an older incubator. It was a big heavy thing! I paid $150. for it and it worked. I sold it for the same amount. My only complaint was the temp varied a little, usually fluckuating 3 degrees or so. But it did hatch out chicks.

3. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Did you get it?

A lady that buys eggs from me called and said that they purchased a used shed and it had a Farm Master incubator in it. She wanted to know if I wanted it...I said yes. So we are going to go pick it up sometime today. I don't know if it works but she said it looks like it is in good shape so we will see.

Mitzi

4. farm master

farm master New Egg

Nov 26, 2008
    I just got a 1957 model 1200 egg farm master(were I got my user name) for 100$ and it works althought I am going to replace a few thing later on . the fan, motor, and wafer thermostat you can get at GQF If it 100 i grab it up

5. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I just picked up a 400 egg model from my local craigslist and it came with the instruction sheet that includes the 400, 600, 1200, and 2100 egg models. Anyone needing/wanting a scanned copy of the instructions? PM me your email address and I'll get a copy on its way.
    BTW how are you folks dating these? I sure don't see any dates on mine.
    db

6. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I'd buy it just for the sheer fun of having it.

7. RWD57

RWD57 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    http://www.searsarchives.com/products/questions/yard/incubator.htm

Our
    best resource for information on old products is the general merchandise catalog. We do not have any schematic drawings of your incubator, but we did find a catalog listing on page 1147 of the spring 1951 Chicago edition catalog.

[​IMG]

Maybe if we are lucky someday someone who used to make these will read this and have a wiring schematic around, i know i could use one. Or maybe an electrician who owns one or knows someone who owns will be kind enough to make a wiring diagram from a working unit and publish it for us.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Maybe there could be a new subsection for antique incubators. [​IMG]

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    A LOT of us have them. Mine's circa 1900, but that Farm Master model is in general a "Leahy", who sold the same incubator under several different labels to different retail outlets. They can be excellent incubators, I got mine for 75.00 and love it to death. It has hugely reliable great hatch rates. I had to replace the fan this winter, gosh after 100 years... darn unreliable things LOL. I replaced it with the GQF model of the same thing. And am adding an additional electronic thermostat and some interior lighting this spring. I love mine. The old ones were exceedingly well built. Probably adding turners as well, not that I need to be hatching too many more eggs omg.

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I would think it is definitely worth the $100 if you can get it going. I wish I could find one of these![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by