1st coop construction progress

I'd turn this thread into my progress thread, but it doesn't look like we can change post titles after the fact? So I'll likely start a new one to document my glacial progress.
Click the 'report' icon in the lower left corner of the first post and ask to have the title changed.

upload_2018-10-19_17-10-47.png

Last weekend I cut and installed the rafters over the run section, which is extra important because we're well into the rains now and I needed something that would actually support a water-laden tarp.

It was also exciting because I've never done rafters before, and I chose to cut birdsmouths rather than buy rafter clips.

First I screwed some temporary blocks onto the beams, so that I could place my first rafter on them and trace around the top of the beam.

20181027_100725.jpg

There will be another 2x4 on the inside of each existing beam to strengthen it and help hold the hardware cloth, so I snugged another offcut up against the 'beam' when I scribed the birdsmouth.

I clamped all the rafters firmly together so I could make all the heel cuts at once.
20181027_111153.jpg

Shortly after that, the battery for my circular saw died, and I realized that it's too old to be holding a charge well, so I had to borrow a corded saw from my neighbor, which turned out to have a dull blade (couldn't swap between 'em, the saws were different sizes). the rest of it took rather more energy than it should have, but I finished:

20181027_115825.jpg

I also put a bit of a taper detail on all the rafter ends. My housemate came out in the rain to help hold things plumb while I attached the rafters. Got a bit soggy but I'm THRILLED with that day of work. Really feel I learned something in terms of carpentry, and now it's solid enough to last through rain -- and I can stay dry working under the tarp until I have a clear enough run of weather to get the rest of the roof on.

20181027_161303.jpg

The rafters are 10' and the run is 6'9, so there's a touch over 18" of overhang. I'll probably appreciate that in our wet winters.

Shortly after that, the battery for my circular saw died, and I realized that it's too old to be holding a charge well, so I had to borrow a corded saw from my neighbor, which turned out to have a dull blade (couldn't swap between 'em, the saws were different sizes). the rest of it took rather more energy than it should have
Cause you were tired out from finding the right tools :D
It looks awesome!
Love the taper detail, it's the little things....
...and yes, you will be very glad you have the overhangs!

That is beautiful and I love the overhangs and you will too when it's nasty and raining. The attention to detail is amazing. Keep sharing the photos.

My 18v DeWalt circular saw battery was dead so I got a 20v DeWalt circular saw and sold the 18v to some young carpenters that still used a bunch of 18v DeWalt tools. All my working tools are 20v DeWalt now, it's so nice that all the tools use the same battery.

JT

My 18v DeWalt circular saw battery was dead so I got a 20v DeWalt circular saw and sold the 18v to some young carpenters that still used a bunch of 18v DeWalt tools. All my working tools are 20v DeWalt now, it's so nice that all the tools use the same battery.
What size blade do these use?
Do the battery powered ones really have the torque needed?
Only one I ever used was really wimpy, but that was long ago and only 5" blade.
Lithium battery?

What size blade do these use?
Do the battery powered ones really have the torque needed?
Only one I ever used was really wimpy, but that was long ago and only 5" blade.
Lithium battery?

The 20v DeWalt saws have loads of torque and the larger 5Ah battery lasts a long time. They come in 3 blade sizes 5 1/2", 6 1/2" and 7 1/4". Mine is a 6 1/2" blade. My wife says I'm a poster child for DeWalt lol.

JT

@jthornton Have you noticed whether DeWalt changes their battery configuration or keeps it the same, over time? I'm trying to decide whether to replace batteries or replace tools, and now my only option for batteries is third party manufacture. I do REALLY like having all one brand and all one size of battery. Makes it so much simpler. It's not nearly as handy if they change up the battery every few years.

I could go to corded tools, too, but it's so convenient not have to worry about running cords, especially since my house doesn't have a grounded exterior outlet in the back (yet. I'll get to that eventually).

@aart My 18v 5.5" Porter Cable circular saw doesn't have the most impressive torque, even when the batteries are working at peak efficiency, but it gets most jobs done. When I needed to do a plunge cut through the siding of my house I borrowed dad's larger monster. Same with the 18v drill from the same set -- fine for all the little common things, but when I'm doing anything with spade bits I either have to borrow a corded drill or do the job in tiny increments, which is frustrating. For this project I borrowed dad's hitachi impact driver (because of all the toenailing) and I'm in love.

My three-tool 18v set also includes a cordless sawsall. I also have a beefier corded DeWalt sawsall that's great for larger jobs, but the cordless one is my absolute favorite heavy-duty pruning tool. It's THE tool for dealing with rhododendrons.

...maybe I should buy replacement batteries (for the convenience) and slowly acquire either beefier battery powered tools or corded versions. Look, excuses to buy more tools! I AM my father's daughter.

That is beautiful and I love the overhangs and you will too when it's nasty and raining. The attention to detail is amazing. Keep sharing the photos.

Thank you! :) I almost chickened out (heh) on the end detail when it started to rain and I was still struggling with bum tools, but I stubborned it out, and I'm glad I did!

When I was a kid I was in charge of designing our rabbit hutch -- it's the project dad taught me basic drafting on -- and the overhangs were way too small. We had to add plastic all winter to keep the rain out. Not a mistake I intend to make twice!

The very end (the side nearest us in the photos) only has 10" of overhang, but it faces east and we never get our weather from that direction. I'd still rather it be larger, but I didn't want it enough to buy another roofing panel just for the added 8".

I'm trying to decide whether to replace batteries or replace tools, and now my only option for batteries is third party manufacture.
I've found in the past once the battery is shot they've updated the models and put a new little doohickey on the battery shaft so a whole new tool is required...engineered obsolescence<grrrr>..or even if the replacement fits, they cost almost as much as a whole new tool.

Look, excuses to buy more tools! I AM my father's daughter.
Same Here ;)

Back
Top Bottom