1st day in the coop together

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
As most of you know, we have been great success with gradual introduction to our hens. Today, we closed the babies OUT of their brooder and they spent the whole day in the hen house.

We went out to dinner and then came home to put everyone to bed, and 4 of the babies (8 weeks old) were in the doorway to the hen house - BIG STEP. So we sat down to watch. The babies all came out and made their way around the coop. A couple of the hens pecked at them, but nothing more than normal "You're the new kid" kind of stuff. The roo pecked at them a bit too, but they were none the worse for wear.

Time to go to bed the roo just stood there looking at them like he knew they were his, but had no idea how to get them in the hen house. We helped him out with that. This has gone REALLY well.

congrats on integration... much smoother than the 60's. I'm hoping to do the same with my 8wk old and 5wk olds this weekend. Keep us posted.

Honestly, I think we have bunch of Stepford chickens. They are so very orderly about everything it isn't even funny. There was a thread here recently about chicken behavior when a predator is around. I post that mine should have mini helmets and AK47's because they retreat to the hen house so stealth it is a crack up. They line for everything, treats, feeding, dust bathing, whatever.

HA! Our dog is goffiest thing on the planet. He is a pit bull, supposedly mixed with german shephard, but I don't see it. He has a longer face than most pits, but his ears aren't cropped and he has NO manners. Runs like a deer, plays with himself throwing thing around the yard and chasing them, etc.

sigh... I suppose eventually the BRs will be big enough to fend off the Ridgeback and Airedale. The only thing they line up for is food and bickies. The BRs won't line up for yogurt- pure anarchy.

Our silver spangled hamburg sees us coming with treats and starts yelling and they all gather around and wait patiently for their treats. It's weird - Stepford chickens.

Are you close enought to La-la land that the run-off is in your water supply?
gig.gif

I hope it goes as easy for me when I put my little girls in with my big girls. I'm going to build a run for the little girls nest to the big girls run. I have introduced them. The big girls actually have run away from the little girls who are two weeks old. One of the big girls gets closer than the rest and just stands near them cackling up a storm for a few minutes then goes back with the other big girls. It is so funny to watch.
jumpy.gif
D.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom