1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

1st egg! 19.5 week old Gold Sex Link hen.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pdxchristine, Sep 15, 2013.

1. pdxchristine

pdxchristine In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Forest Grove, OR
    I also have an easter egger, same age. They have been acting funny the last few days so I was hoping to see an egg soon. She laid it on the floor of the coop so I need to work on getting her to do it in the spot I made for her. Any tips for that? I have a 5 gal bucket with pine shavings in it for egg laying - an idea I got from here.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    Congrats on the egg! Many first timers lay eggs on the floor; they don't realize what it feels like when they have to lay an egg, and aren't at the right place at the right time. It takes them a while to get used to nesting boxes, too. Try enticing them into the box (well, bucket in your case) by putting in a plastic easter egg or some gulf balls. Fill the easter eggs with sand or rocks so they have the same heft as a real egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: