1st incubation attempt - set 12/29/11

savannahchickmom

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Savannah, Missouri
hmm.png

My daughter got a Little Giant for Christmas, and a few friends and our hens provided eggs. My daughters and I set them last night. Now to see if anything happens:)

Don't know who is more excited - the girls or me!

Good luck but dont be turned off if it doesnt go well. You think its exciting now wait until day 18 when they go into lockdown and you cant touch them.
lol.png
happy hatching

The Little Giant can be very very tricky and has left many folks frustrated and heartbroken. Apparently is does best in a draft free room where it is messed with. I highly recommend you don't use the thermometer that came with it. There are many good threads here describing how folks get the best results with the LG.

I use an LG, too. I keep a notebook and record temps, turning schedule (if no turner), note room temp because LG will follow up or down. And the date of set.

You will want to check the temps at 4 locations around the incubator; one area can be cooler than another. If one area is particualrly hot, avoid it; keep the keep in other areas.

Read Chookschicks page on incubating with an LG; loads of info on the LG .

Hope all goes well! My first hatch went well I thought--50% of my own eggs hatched; I learned a lot how to manage the LG and got better results in later hatches.

THe next 21 days will be like no other in your life.
smile.png

Thank you for all of the replies! Girls and I candled yesterday - 27 of 27 are developing!!! Used several of the tricks you all pointed out in the LG Tips link, and so far so good! Only 5 days into it, could still have quitters, but happy we are off to such a great start!!!

Back
Top Bottom