1st night for the live trap.

Bisqit&Gravy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
The trap needed a little adjustments b/c if we barely bumped the outside it would close. We tested it with our little pug whose's a pig at heart. She eagerly ran in it everytime to get the bisqit after she figured out she couldn't get the treat thru the sides. We were dying lauging in the garage..hahaha. Not sure how much a coon weighs but Fergie is 8 pounds and she didn't have to hit the lever that much for it to close.
Really hoping we catch something tonight!!

Good luck!!
thumbsup.gif

What kind of trap are you using? I have had success with the Hav-a-Hart traps, catching raccoons, opossums, & cats. And often, if I leave them set open during the day, will catch curious chickens.

After I catch a critter I will secure the door with zip ties or wire. Once I caught a big raccoon in the type of trap that can fold for storage. It held him while it was resting on the ground, but when I lifted it to carry it away, the weight of the animal made the bottom sag, giving it space under the trap door to squeeeeeze out. I still don't understand how such a big raccoon could squeeze out such a small crack, but it did.

So now I make sure the door is secured before moving it at all. Of course, be careful to keep your fingers away from the teeth & claws of your captured critter.

What are you trying to catch? And what will you do with it after you catch it?

I set a Hav-a-Heart trap this past week because something was digging in my flower beds, and whatever it was didnt need to be those close to my chickens, not to mention the flowers it was digging up. I caught a raccon, the digging continued, I then caught a fox, a cat, and another raccoon, and the digging stopped. I set the trip for 5 nights and caught 4 critters.

I'm after some skunks that have been getting into things in my barn and was going for my chicks one evening. My husband said I can't shoot any more because they stink to much so I set a have-a-heart trap. I also have some leg traps. I didn't go out to check the trap today because it rained all day. If I get anything, I'll take it way out back and shoot it. I don't shoot them in the have-a-heart trap. I open the trap and let them out then shoot. I have a nice deep hole already dug. I checked with my local game and wildlife office and skunks aren't off limits. There are some areas where it's illegal to shoot skunks.

Last edited:
I got a trap at TSC, it was 2 for the price of one. It's like the kind that animal control uses but raccoon size. The only thing I do not like about it is you have to release them from the same door they went in. That might be interesting!!
Didn't get anything last night but it was also raining. Haven't a clue if raccoons will come out in the rain??? It's still raining tonight but the trap is set up just incase. It's next to my 3 standard's pen b/c they wouldn't go in their house tonight.

I plan to relocate if I catch them. That will be lots of fun seeing how we don't have a truck but got that figured out. I'll set the cage down in a huge bag so the critter doesn't pee in my car.

Um...there's been some discussion on other threads here about releasing trapped raccoons. You might want to take a look, or maybe not...?

In some areas it's illegal to release raccoons because of the possibility of spreading rabies. Also, in many instances it's extremely inconsiderate to release a raccoon because you're just introducing another predator into someone else's neighborhood. They can travel quite far and what seems like uninhabited woods could in reality be someone's big back yard.
Perhaps you should consider a different end for your trapped pests.
idunno.gif

I don't know how you get around the stink of a skunk with a Have a Heart. They still spray all over.

As a kid, we always just shot them while hooked in the claw trap. Sometimes the would let loose and stink up everything..... sometimes they wouldn't. Even if the didn't let spray go... they still stink!

Back
Top Bottom