1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1ST Predator--HOORAY!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Baymule, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Last night our Great Pyrenees, Paris, [​IMG] tuned up and barked her head off like she usually does. She hates cats and the neighbor feeds all the strays in the neighborhood. [​IMG] They breed like rats and poop everywhere (but NOT in our backyard haha). Then the hens started raising a ruckus [​IMG] which they never do. Paris barking, the girls yelling their heads off, we went to investigate. A HUGE possum was on the wood fence next to the coop, just out of Paris's reach. The hens were upset at this monster being so close and Paris was incensed at the intruder. Our SIL went to the garage for a hoe and poked the possum until it decided to move on. Crisis averted.

My DH asked if the possum could get to the chickens and SIL answered, "that's the most sturdy, well built coop I've ever seen. Most of them are thrown together, but I don't think anything could get in that one." [​IMG]

I beamed and said that I studied BYC's predator forum for 3 months before building the coop and I learned what to do and what not to do. We live in the middle of a small town, just blocks from City Hall. I know many of the BYC'ers have bigger predator problems, bears, bobcats, hawks and snakes-Oh My! But in our little town a possum is a big deal--and the best part?????? He can't get into the coop!! (Even if Paris wasn't on guard to rip him to pieces-LOL)

Thanks BYC and the BYC'ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    sweet! thats great to hear!

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Ok now I need to see a picture of your coop!

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Sounds like your coop is like Fort Knox, way to go

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Good for you Baymule! Poked him with a hoe, that kills me. [​IMG] I'm surprised Paris' barking didn't scare the possum back to where he came from, but I don't know much about possums, maybe he was smart enough to realize when he was out of reach. Great outcome!

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Most excellent! Keep your eyes peeled though, it'll be back!

7. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Quote:They make a decent stew. Poke him a bit harder next time, they are persistent.

8. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    There are quite a few possums here right downtown in our little town. Have also seen raccoons, hawks, snakes (but not many) and that's about it for predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by