1st time duck owner

wcausby

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2020
Hi! I am looking for some duck help/advice. Today I went
and let my ducks out like I always do when I am home and later this afternoon I noticed 1 was missing from the flock. I ran down to the barn and she was cooped up in the corner of the barn and when she stood up and started walking she was limping. I looked at her foot and she had a BIG knot in the middle of her foot. When my husband got home, we cleaned it and he stuck a syringe in the top and bottom of the knot and only blood came out of it. The knot was very warm to the touch. There was no scabs or any sores of any type on her foot. I don't know what to do for her. She isn't very tame so I don't want to scare her half to death but I can't stand to see her hurting at all. Please help....any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
First thing that came to my mind, is BUMBLE FOOT, but your further description does not seem so. Can you take a pix of it and someone here may be able to Identify better.
WISHING YOU BEST:hugs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Does it look like this? If so it’s bumble which can’t be removed with a syringe since duck pus is hard. Do you have any antibiotics? The vet put my Runner on 14day course of Amoxicillin on day 7 I used a scalpel and opened the bottom just enough to pop out that hard core of pus. Put triple antibiotic over and wrapped her foot she finished her antibiotic and her foot healed fine.
1E84B20F-1A6F-4C53-9C89-206E55BE10E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Does it look like this? If so it’s bumble which can’t be removed with a syringe since duck pus is hard. Do you have any antibiotics? The vet put my Runner on 14day course of Amoxicillin on day 7 I used a scalpel and opened the bottom just enough to pop out that hard core of pus. Put triple antibiotic over and wrapped her foot she finished her antibiotic and her foot healed fine. View attachment 2059695
You were right! We cut her foot open and "OH MY WORD" IT WAS HUGE! I couldn't believe what came out of her little foot! I can't thank y'all enough for the help! Now we are still in the process of it healing and I figure as big as what came out of her foot was, it might take a while.
Thank y'all!!! Blessings! 🦆🤗

First thing that came to my mind, is BUMBLE FOOT, but your further description does not seem so. Can you take a pix of it and someone here may be able to Identify better.
WISHING YOU BEST:hugs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Yep it was bumble foot. I had my husband cut her foot open and a HUGE KNOT came out and all the swelling went down immediately. I was so glad to see it and I know she has to atleast feel some what better herself by now. We have her bandaged up and are keeping her in the pen so she can't wander around yet. THANK YALL SO MUCH for all the help. I can see this is going to be a wonderful group for advice and for learning!

Back
Top Bottom